What's the first thing you probably do when you enter the dorm bathroom? If there aren't automatic light-activating sensors, chances are you turn on the light. And you probably didn't wash your hands before you entered the bathroom. Consider also the "remote" possibility that some of your dormmates may not be shining examples of personal hygiene. What if they are using the bathroom's facilities, turning off the light switch and exiting -- without washing their hands?
The bathroom light switch is a prime place for staph to land. This bacteria, which normally lives on skin, can be transferred to the surfaces people touch. While it doesn't usually pose a threat, it can enter your body through a cut, scrape or the mouth, eyes or nasal membranes. And when it does, it can cause a serious infection that will need medical intervention [source: Alliance for Consumer Education].
Or you could just wipe down the light switch every day with an antibacterial cleaner. We know which option we'd choose.