I had these at a restaurant called Salsas in Asheville, N.C. This tiny hole in the wall restaurant specializes in a mix of Mexican and Caribbean fare and it could very well be my favorite restaurant in the entire state. The pungent nature of the goat cheese paired marvelously with the sweet taste of the sweet potato. There was also a slew of roasted veggies to go along with the sweet potato that added tons of great crunch. Best part—you can absolutely recreate this treat at home using whatever veggies that you have in addition to the sweet potato and goat cheese. Make the dish about the veggies rather than cheese and tortillas. Serve these up in a bowl rather than on a plate to hold all the wonderful fresh produce in place.
Goat Cheese and Sweet Potato Quesadillas
1 tbsp organic olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
1. Boil the sweet potato until cooked through.
2. Sauté the onion, garlic, and zucchini in olive oil.
3. At the last minute, add in the tomato.
4. Build the quesadilla by topping one tortilla with a layer of half the mozzarella, a slather of goat cheese, a scoop of cooked sweet potato, and the sautéed veggies.5. Top with another layer of goat cheese and mozzarella. Place the other tortilla on top and push it securely into place.
5. Top with another layer of goat cheese and mozzarella. Place the other tortilla on top and push it securely into place.
6. Skillet fry the quesadilla until browned on both sides.