There are items we consciously recycle and items we toss without a second thought. Here are 10 things you should never throw away at HowStuffWorks.
- 10 Green Laundry Cleaning Tips
- 20 Ways to Stay Green During Your Commute
- Can top-load washers be energy efficient?
- Gas vs. Electric: Which dryer is more energy efficient?
- How does a time-of-use program with the power company work?
- How Composting Works
- Which is greener, gas or electric cooking?
- What are low-water washing machines?
- What are solar air heaters?
- What is gray water, and can it solve the global water crisis?
- Water Tips for Gardening
- What is a green roof?
- "Adjust your thermostat." Louisiana Department of Natural Resources. http://dnr.louisiana.gov/sec/execdiv/techasmt/ecep/home/e/e.htm"Air seal and insulate with Energy Star." Energy Star. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_seali"
- Average retail price of electricity to ultimate customers by end-use sector." U.S. Energy Information Administration. June 10, 2008. http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/table5_6_a.html
- Doyle, Leonard. "U.S. power company linked to Bush is named in database as a top polluter." The Independent. November 16, 2007. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-power-company-linked-to-bush-is-named-in-database-as-a-top-polluter-400561.html
- "FLO International raises Fairtrade price for coffee farmers." TransFair USA. December 12, 2007. http://www.transfairusa.org/content/about/pr/pr_071214.php
- Gangemi, Jeffrey. "Selling power back to the grid." BusinessWeek. July 6, 2006. http://www.businessweek.com/smallbiz/content/jul2006/sb20060706_167332.htm?campaign_id=search
- Hoak, Amy. "The 7 deadly sins of home "remodeling." Market Watch. July 22, 2006. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/realestate/2003143274_remodeling23.html
- Hodge, Stephanie. "Knowledge innovation systems and technology diffusion strategies for ecosystems management in Africa - case study: Lake Chad Basin Commission." Harvard University. Fall 2006.http://www.hks.harvard.edu/kssgorg/apj/issues/fall_2006_issue/Hodge.htm
- "How to green your recycling." TreeHugger. January 31, 2007. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/how_to_green_your_recycling.php
- "Insulating a new house (do it right the first time)." Oak Ridge National Laboratory. http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/insulation/ins_05.html
- Jha, Sonora. "Sonora Jha - keynote speaker, Academic Day, September 20, 2004." Seattle University. Sept. 20, 2004. http://www.seattleu.edu/academicsalons/zz_archive/salons_0405/sonora%20jha.asp
- "National Organic Program." USDA. January 3, 2012. http://attra.ncat.org/guide/n_z/nop.html
- "Ready. Set. Save! EPA encourages Americans to save on summer cooling costs through proper use of programmable thermostats." U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. June 5, 2008. http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/0/5C93DE5EE64F1B2E8525745F005DA293
- "Riots, instability spread as food prices skyrocket." CNN. April 14, 2008. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/04/14/world.food.crisis/
- Shack, Elizabeth. "USDA 'organic' seal doesn't seem to stick." Fox News. March 5, 2003. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,80241,00.html
- Shedlock, Mike. "U.S. Housing Market." The Daily Reconing. 1/2/12. http://dailyreckoning.com/us-housing-market/
- "The common questions of the curmudgeon." Minnesota Recycling Program. http://www.recycleminnesota.org/htm/ReCurm.htm
- "United States advances $1 billion for clean coal projects." America.gov. Nov. 30, 2006. http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-english/2006/November/20061130172755SAikceinawz0.3671076.html
- USDA. "Cooperative Extension Office Locator. Jan. 3, 2012. http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/