There are items we consciously recycle and items we toss without a second thought. Here are 10 things you should never throw away at HowStuffWorks.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- How Air Conditioners Work
- What is a green roof?
- How Water Towers Work
- How Humidifiers Work
- How Icemakers Work
- How does a dehumidifier work?
- How Refrigerators Work
- How Car Cooling Systems Work
- How Ozone Pollution Works
- How much ice would I have to store up in the winter in order to air condition my house all summer?
More Great Links
- "Evaporative Coolers." ToolBase Services. http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/HVAC/evaporative-coolers
- "NYC Buildings Use Ice to Keep Cool." Associated Press. New York Times. July 24, 2007. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/us/AP-Ice-Cooling.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
- Bradsher, Keith. "Air conditioners batter ozone layer." New York Times. San Francisco Chronicle. Feb. 23, 2007. http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/02/23/MNGCVO9PLB1.DTL&hw=air+conditioners+batter+ozone+layer&sn=001&sc=1000
- Du Bois, Dennis. "Ice Energy's "Ice Bear" Keeps Off-Peak Kilowatts in Cold Storage to Reduce HVAC's Peak Power Costs." Energy Priorities. Jan. 16, 2007. http://energypriorities.com/entries/2007/01/ice_energy_peak_power.php
- Jackson, Rachael. "Beating the Heat Without Punishing the Planet." E/The Environmental Magazine. http://www.emagazine.com/view/?3794
- Keim, Brandon. "Giant Blocks of Ice: A 21st Century Air Conditioner." Wired Science. July 16, 2007. http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2007/07/giant-blocks-of.html
- Liang, Linus. "Giant "ice cube" cools campus." The Stanford Daily. June 15, 2007. http://daily.stanford.edu/article/2007/6/15/giantIceCubeCoolsCampus
- Long, Colleen. "Ice Blocks Used to Chill Buildings." Associated Press. Discovery News. July 16, 2007. http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/07/16/cooling_tec.html?category=technology
- Silverberg, David. "How Ice Is Replacing Air Conditioning at Green-Friendly Businesses." Digital Journal. July 16, 2007. http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/207027/How_Ice_Is_Replacing_Air_Conditioning_at_Green_Friendly_Businesses
- Simpson, Dave. "Controlling the Cool, by Day and by Night." APPLIANCE Magazine. July 2006. http://www.appliancemagazine.com/editorial.php?article=1466
- Trevino, Laramie. "The big chill: Cooling plant project ushers in new ice age." Stanford Online Report. April 21, 1999. http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/1999/april21/iceplant-421.html
- Wald, Matthew L. "Storing Sunshine." New York Times. July 16, 2007. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/16/business/16storage.html?ex=1185422400&en=477222aa8fc07af6&ei=5070