Homes with attached garages lead to energy waste.
The effort that goes into insulating the outside of the house is not often extended to the garage.
That's a mistake and here is why:
If you insulate the floor above your unheated garage, it will help reduce the energy costs for the other insulated parts of the home. (Source: How Stuff Works.)
- Caulk or foam up the bottom edges of the drywall next to the concrete.
- Add gaskets to receptacles on both sides of the wall. That helps in keeping stinky "garage air" out of the house.
- Caulk around the trim of the door and add weather-stripping.
- The door from the garage into the house is more important to repair or replace than other entry doors.
- Please insulate any home entry doors and/or garage doors.