With the recent move away from the space race, I must admit anything having to do with space exploration or space-age materials seems simultaneously futuristic and oddly old-timey. I was intrigued to learn what the strange-sounding "lunarcrete" discussion is really all about -- and pleased to find it was both more futuristic and workable than I could have imagined.
- Barras, Colin. "Astronauts Could Mix DIY Concrete for Cheap Moon Base." New Scientist. Oct. 17, 2008. (April 10, 2012) http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14977-astronauts-could-mix-diy-concrete-for-cheap-moon-base.html
- Bennett, D. F. H. "Innovations in Concrete." Thomas Telford Books. 2002.
- Casanova, I. "Feasibility and Applications of Sulfur Concrete for Lunar Base Development: A Preliminary Study." 28th Annual Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. 1997. (April 10, 2012) http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc97/pdf/1483.PDF
- Cohen, Mark. And Kennedy, Kriss. "Habitats and Surface Construction Technology and Development Roadmap" NASA. (April 26, 2012) http://www.spacearchitect.org/pubs/NASA-CP-97-206241-Cohen.pdf
- Ethridge, E.C., Tucker, D.S., and Toutanji, Houssam. "Production of Glass Fibers for Reinforcement of Lunar Concrete." 44th American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics Conference. 2006.
- Grugela, Richard N. and Toutanji, Houssam. "Sulfur 'concrete' for lunar applications — Sublimation concerns." Advances in Space Research, Volume 41, No. 1, pp. 103-112. 2008.
- Happel, J.A. "Indigenous Materials for Lunar Construction." Applied Mechanics Review, Vol. 46, No. 6, pp. 313-325. 1993.
- Lin, T. D., Skaar, Steven B. and O'Gallagher, Joseph J. "Proposed remote control solar powered concrete production experiment on the Moon." Aerospace Engineering, Volume 10, No. 2, pp. 104-109. 1997.
- Omar, Husam and Issa, Mohsen. "Cost Effectiveness of Lunar Concrete for Lunar Structures." Pacific International Conference on Aerospace Science and Technology. Taiwan. 1993.
- Ruess, F., Schaenzlin, J. and Benaroya, H. "Structural Design of a Lunar Habitat". Journal of Aerospace Engineering. Vol 19, No. 3, p. 138. July 2006. (April 10, 2012) http://csxe.rutgers.edu/research/space/Ruess_et_al_ASCE_JAE.pdf
- Wilcox, B.B., M. S. Robinson, P. C. Thomas and B. R. Hawke. "Constraints on the depth and variability of the lunar regolith." Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40. Nr 5, 695–710. 2005. (April 27, 2012) http://lro.gsfc.nasa.gov/library/wilcox_2005.pdf