I try to be a DIY kind of gal -- my dad brought me up to kill my own bugs and fix my own wiggly furniture -- but I don't think I'd ever trust myself to mess with a load-bearing wall. From identifying it to putting a replacement in place that'll actually hold up the building, that's one project I'll leave to the experts. One of the coolest things I learned researching this article, though, was that a simple pillar or even a beam could bear the same load as a wall. For anyone who doubts the coolness of physics, I think that's a pretty strong counter-argument.
More Great Links
- Better Homes & Gardens. "Load-Bearing Wall." (May 20, 2012) http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/advice/expert-advice/load-bearing-wall/
- Carter, Tim. "Load-Bearing Wall Identification." Ask the Builder. (May 20, 2012) http://www.askthebuilder.com/load-bearing-wall-identification/
- Family Handyman, The. "How to Install a Load-Bearing Beam." (May 26, 2012) http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Wall---Ceiling/Wall-Repair/how-to-install-a-loadbearing-beam/View-All
- Leelanau Log Home Company. "Log Home Glossary of Terms." (May 27, 2012) http://www.leelanauloghomes.com/shopcontent.asp?type=loghomeresources_glossary_llh
- Mattson Macdonald Young. "Residential Bearing Wall Removal." (May 24, 2012) http://www.mattsonmacdonald.com/documents/BearingWallRemoval.pdf
- Mosby Building Arts. "Identify & Remove a Load-Bearing Wall." Jan. 21, 2010. (May 20, 2012) http://www.mosbybuildingarts.com/blog/2010/01/21/identify-remove-a-load-bearing-wall/
- Rocamat. "Load-Bearing Wall Type I." (May 20, 2012) http://www.rocamat.com/html-gb/pdf/Murs%20&%20Fa%E7ades/FT01_Mur_porteur_I.pdf
- Royal Building Solutions. "Construction Guide for Bearing Walls." (May 20, 2012) http://www.rbsiowa.com/pdf/ConstGuide_Bearing_Walls.pdf
- Wagner, John D. "House Framing." Creative Homeowner. 2005.