For years, the National Association of Home Builders has ranked kitchens and bathrooms among its top homeowner-requested projects. These popular renovations can be pricey. The national average for a major kitchen remodel is $58,000, but could easily reach more than $100,000 if high-end cabinetry and appliances are included. Bathrooms can cost almost as much as kitchens, even though they're only a fraction of the size.
One thing's for certain, remodeling requires commitment, and it's not only because of the price tag. We once stacked most of our furniture into one room so we could remove the carpets and uncover the hardwood floors in our starter house, a 1920s bungalow. We'd planned to sand and seal the floors in a weekend, but after discovering hundreds of staples that had to be pulled by hand, it actually took a couple of weeks. And after eating take-out dinners on makeshift chairs made out of buckets for longer than I care to recall, it's beginning to dawn on me that if I'd followed some of the advice in this article, I would have been far better prepared.
- Apartment Therapy. "How to Survive a Kitchen Reno ...Without Going Hungry." (May 20, 2012) http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-to-survive-a-kitchen-renov-146251
- Beck Design Group. "Surviving a Home Remodel Tip List." Beck Design Group. (May 20, 2012) http://www.beckdesigngroupllc.com/survive_remodel.html
- Bilsky, Carolyn. "Feasting on Fast-Casual." CCIM Institute. (May 20, 2012) http://www.ccim.com/cire-magazine/articles/feasting-fast-casual
- Costello, Jody. "My Horror Story." Contractors from Hell. (May 20, 2012) http://www.contractorsfromhell.com/my-horror-story/
- CNN. "Remodeling Horror Stories." Jan. 24, 2011. (May 20, 2012) http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/real_estate/1101/gallery.gallery_of_horrors/index.html
- De Jesus, Jenny. "Remodeling Handbook Part I: how to Survive a Remodel." Hawaii Home Remodeling. Feb. 28, 2012. (May 20, 2012) http://www.hawaiihomeandremodeling.com/articles/2012/March/survive-a-remodel-1
- National Association of Home Builders. "Kitchens and Bathrooms Remain Top Remodeling Jobs According to NAHB Survey." May 7, 2012. (May 20, 2012) http://www.nahb.com/news_details.aspx?newsID=15282
- Simkins, Brian. "Seven Things to Expect When Living Through a Home Remodel." Do It Yourself. (May 20, 2012) http://www.doityourself.com/stry/financingremodeling#b
- Wallick, S.H. "How to Survive Your Kitchen Remodel Project." Yahoo. May 20, 2009. (May 20, 2012) http://voices.yahoo.com/how-survive-kitchen-remodel-project-3337138.html?cat=6