Troubleshooting Oil Furnaces and Oil Heaters
|Furnace won't run
||1. No power.
||1. Check for blown fuses or tripped|
circuit breakers at main entrance
panel or at separate entrance panel;
|2. Switch off.
||2. Turn on separate power switch on|
or near furnace.
|3. Motor overload.
||3. Wait 30 minutes; press reset button.|
Repeat if necessary.
|4. No fuel.
||4. Check tank; if necessary, refill tank.|
|5. Fuel line blockage.
||5. Clean oil filter and oil pump strainer.|
If problem persists, call a
|Burner won't fire||1. No fuel.||1. Check tank; if necessary, refill tank.|
|2. No ignition spark.
||2. Press reset button on stack control;|
if necessary, clean stack control.
If no result, call a professional.
If furnace has electric-eye safety,
clean safety; if no result, call a
|Not enough heat
||1. Thermostat set
|1. Raise thermostat setting 5°.|
|2. Air filter dirty.||2. Clean or replace air filter.|
|3. Blower clogged.||3. Clean blower assembly.|
|4. Registers closed
|4. Make sure all registers are open;|
make sure they are not blocked by
rugs, drapes, or furniture.
|5. System out of
|5. Balance system.|
|6. Blower belt loose
|6. Adjust or replace belt.|
|7. Burner dirty.||7. Call a professional.|
on and off
|1. Air filter dirty.
2. Oil filter dirty.
3. Motor and/or blower
|1. Clean or replace air filter.|
2. Clean or replace oil filter.
3. If motor and blower have oil
| needs lubrication.
|4. Blower clogged.
||4. Clean blower assembly. |
|5. Stack control faulty.||5. Call a professional. |
||1. Blower control
||1. Reset thermostat from ON|
|stop running||set wrong.|| to AUTO.|
|2. Limit switch set
|2. Reset limit switch.|
||1. Access panels loose.
||1. Mount and fasten access|
|2. Belts sticking, worn,
|2. Spray squeaking belts with fan|
belt dressing; replace worn
or damaged belts.
|3. Blower belt too
loose or too tight.
|3. Adjust belt.|
|4. Motor and/or blower
|4. If motor and blower have oil|
|5. Burner dirty.||5. Call a professional.|
Oil filters should be changed twice a year. Find out when and how to do it on the next page.
For more articles on home repair, check out the following links.
- Furnace Maintenance: Save yourself time and money by learning the steps to keep youor furnace in prime condition.
- Major Appliance Repair: If the furnace isn't the only thing in your house on the fritz, you can learn how to fix other machines in this article.
- Small Appliance Repair: Once you've tackled the furnace, a toaster or blender seems like child's play. Find out how to fix them here.
- Thermostat Maintenance: To make sure there's actually a problem with your heating system, you may want to check the thermostat, too. Learn how to calibrate a thermostat.