Like many people, I have a tendency to hang on to stuff that I don't really need ... but I hold on to it anyway because doing anything else takes time and decisiveness. I don't have much of either. What I did have was a room that I wanted to be an office/guest bedroom but was more of an office/dumping ground for stuff that has no other place to go. I knew that once I actually got my stuff sorted, I'd have to figure out what to do with it all. So when I found out I'd be writing a suite of articles about spring cleaning, I suggested that I write a piece on re-homing stuff because I knew I wasn't the only one who thought, "What now?"
Researching and writing the article helped me figure out my options. There was a time when my go-to would be to take it all to a charity thrift store. Now I've designated a few things for eBay, and I'll be selling others to a store that gives cash or store credit for gently used items. The rest gets listed on Freecycle. Somebody once took a rusted-out barrel we found on our property, so that gives me faith that I can find takers for just about anything. If not, thrift store, here we come.
- Amster-Burton, Matthew. "Get Rid of Useless Crap." Mint. Dec. 9, 2009. (March 5, 2012) http://www.mint.com/blog/saving/get-rid-of-useless-crap/
- Cobb, Linda C. "The Queen of Clean Conquers Clutter." Simon and Schuster. Dec. 1, 2002.
- Consumer Reports. "How to Get Rid of Practically Anything." March 2011. (March 6, 2012) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2011/03/how-to-get-rid-of-practically-anything/index.htm
- The Daily Green. "8 Ways to Get Rid of Stuff." The Huffington Post. March 4, 2010. (Mar. 6, 2012) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/04/8-ways-to-get-rid-of stuf_n_482025.html
- Ma, Lybi. "Everyday Junk: The Clean Sweep." Psychology Today. Sept. 19, 2011. (March 5, 2012) http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200410/everyday-junk-the-clean-sweep
- Morrison, Kara G. "How to declutter and let go of sentimental items." The Arizona Republic. Aug. 5, 2009. (March 6, 2012) http://www.azcentral.com/style/hfe/decor/articles/2009/08/05/20090805bigpurge.html
- Reese, Diana. "18 Things You Can Get Rid of Today." Family Circle. 2012. (March 6, 2012) http://www.familycircle.com/family-fun/organization/clutter/18-things-you-can-get-rid-of-right-now/
- Schechter, Harriet. "Let Go of Clutter." McGraw-Hill Professional. Dec. 4, 2000.