Before I started researching this article and other articles on spring cleaning, I have to admit that I hadn't given it much thought beyond the actual cleaning part. But once I started looking at different holidays and festivals around the world that took place during the spring, I realized that it doesn't always mean the act of cleaning your house in a literal sense. Of course, it's not possible to say whether all cultures do some kind of spring cleaning, but there usually seems to be something going on.
Personally, I'm not as great about the house cleaning, but I definitely do think about changing up my health routine when spring comes. And with tax time coming up, finances are also at the forefront of my mind. I like the idea of reinterpreting "spring cleaning" to mean all different kinds of cleaning, though. It takes the pressure off me to have a shiny, clean house, but I can also happily tell people that yes, I've been spring cleaning too!
- BBC Religion. "Hinduism: Rava Navami." Aug. 28, 2008. (March 20, 2012) http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/hinduism/holydays/rama.shtml
- Chabad-Lubavitch Media Center. "Operation Zero Chametz." 2012. (March 16, 2012) http://www.chabad.org/holidays/passover/pesach_cdo/aid/1753/jewish/Operation-Zero-Chametz.htm
- Clukey, Keisha. "Ash Wednesday begins a time of 'spring cleaning." Utica Observer-Dispatch. Feb. 22, 2012. (March 21, 2012) http://www.uticaod.com/news/x248722147/Ash-Wednesday-a-time-for-spiritual-spring-cleaning
- Faith Online. "Faith Library Holiday Guide." 2012. (March 21, 2012) http://www.faith.com/library/holidays/index.html
- Hasegawa, Tomoyuki. "The Meaning of Higan." The Living Dharma Library. 2012. (March 20, 2012) http://www.livingdharma.org/MemorableSermons/Hasegawa-MeaningOfHigan.html
- Henes, Donna. "Purification: Spring Cleaning." MatriFocus. 2006. Vol. 5-6. (March 21, 2012) http://www.matrifocus.com/BEL06/rc-spring-cleaning.htm
- Parker-Pope, Tara. "Cleaning up for Chinese New Year." The New York Times. Jan. 26, 2009. (March 16, 2012) http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/cleaning-up-for-chinese-new-year/
- Persian Mirror. "Khaneh-Tekani." 2004. (March 15, 2012) http://www.persianmirror.com/celebrations/noruz/noruz.cfm
- Sotozen-Net. "Equinox Ceremony [Higan-e] March." 2012. March 22, 2012) http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/event/spring/equinox_ceremony.html
- Williams, Marvin. "Purge Out The Old." Our Daily Bread. Jan. 21, 2012. (March 20, 2012) http://odb.org/2012/01/21/purge-out-the-old/