Like HowStuffWorks on Facebook!
Rubber tile provides an anti-static surface that is ideal for home offices and rooms with computers. Careful care of rubber flooring is necessary because it can be damaged by exposure to strong cleaners.
You don't have to worry quite as much when cleaning terrazzo floors, the topic of our next section.
- Make a rubber-tile floor look freshly waxed by adding 1 cup of fabric softener to 1/2 pail of water.
- The quickest way to clean a rubber-tile floor is to use an all-purpose cleaning solution. Read the product label for precautionary measures, and test it in a corner before using it on the entire floor.
- Occasionally remove wax buildup with a cleaner or wax stripper. Follow stripping with two thin coats of self-polishing wax; allow to dry between coats.
- Remove heel marks from rubber tile by dipping fine-grade (000) steel wool in liquid floor wax. Rub the spot gently, and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Solvent-base products can soften and damage a rubber-tile floor. Also, keep scouring pads, strong soaps, and hot water away from rubber tile.
- Flooding the floor with water will cause big problems; excess water can loosen the adhesives that hold down the flooring.