Health Benefits of Muskmelon, Cantaloupe
Cantaloupe are rich in potassium, a nutrient that may help control blood pressure, regulate heart beat, and possibly prevent strokes. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines state that a potassium-rich diet helps keep salt from raising blood pressure and may also reduce the risk of developing kidney stones and possibly age-related bone loss. The guidelines encourage adults to consume 4,700 milligrams per day (while keeping sodium to less than 2,300 milligrams per day, which is one teaspoon of salt).
Muskmelons are also abundant in vitamin C, one arm of the now-famous disease-fighting antioxidant trio. Another arm that's well represented is beta-carotene. Researchers believe that beta-carotene and vitamin C are capable of preventing heart disease, cancer, and other chronic conditions. No matter which way you slice them, when it comes to nutrition, melons are a cut above.
Cantaloupe is loaded with beneficial nutrients and high in fiber.
Serving Size: 1 cup
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Vitamin A||5,276 IU|
|Folic Acid||33 micrograms|
|Vitamin B6||<1 mg|
|Vitamin C||57 mg|
|Carotenoids|| 3,219 micrograms|
Want more information about muskmelon, cantaloupe? Try:
- Vegetable Recipes: Find delicious recipes that feature muskmelon, cantaloupe.
- Vegetable Gardens: Grow a full harvest of great vegetables this year.
- Gardening: We answer your questions about all things that come from the garden.
- Nutrition: Find out if cantaloupes fit in with your nutrition goals.
- Cantaloupe Stain Help: Learn how to get melon stains out of fabric.