Don't Forget to Winterize
Long before the kids start lacing up their ice skates and zipping up their parkas, your pool needs some attention to see it through the winter. Unless you live in a climate where it's warm year-round, you'll want to take a few steps to winterize your swimming pool.
The process begins about a week before you close the pool by using a high dose of chlorine (or other chemicals recommended by your pool care team) to shock and then balance the alkalinity in the water. Once this is complete, clean and backwash the filter according to manufacturer's directions, lower the pool's water level about 6 inches (16 centimeters) below the lowest plumbing line, then drain the water from the pool pump, filters, heaters and chlorinating equipment. Lastly, you'll want to empty the chemical feeder. Top it with a cover, pack away your pool accessories and start looking forward to next summer's poolside fun [source: Swimming Pool].
Last editorial update on Jun 4, 2019 05:19:16 pm.
Author's Note: 9 Things Your Pool Wishes You Knew
If only swimming pools could talk. On second thought, it's probably better that they can't. But just in case inanimate objects ever do land the ability to share their thoughts with us, it's a good idea to keep your pool happy. It's not so hard, really. A little maintenance, some TLC and, of course, proper swim attire, and you'll be friends for life.
- Adamson, Eve. "Water Dogs." American Kennel Club Cancer Health Foundation. July 13, 2011. (March 30, 2014) http://www.akcchf.org/news-events/library/articles/water-dogs.html
- Evermon, David. "5 Swimming Pool Cover Tips." Swimming Pool Maintenance Tips. (March 31, 2014) http://www.swimmingpoolmaintenancetips.com/5_swimming_pool_cover_tips.html
- Fresh Home. "The Pros and Cons of Owning a Swimming Pool Home." (March 31, 2014) http://freshome.com/2010/07/05/the-pros-and-cons-owning-a-swimming-pool-home/
- International Association of Certified Home Inspectors. "Pool Alarms." (March 31, 2014) http://www.nachi.org/pool-alarms.htm
- Live and Learn. "Swimming Pool Safety." (March 31, 2014) http://www.liveandlearn.com/pools.html
- PoolandSpa.com. "How to Properly Close ( Winterize ) a Swimming Pool." (March 31, 2014) http://www.poolandspa.com/page107.htm
- PoolCenter.com. "Pool Closing." (March 31, 2014) http://www.poolcenter.com/fall.htm
- Samataro, Barbara Russi. "Fitness Basics: Swimming is for Everyone." WebMD. July 13, 2006. (March 30, 2014) http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/fitness-basics-swimming-is-for-everyone
- Sheridan, Marcus. "Swimming Pools and Dogs: A Few Points to Ponder." River Pools and Spas. (March 30, 2014) http://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/bid/37793/Swimming-Pools-and-Dogs-A-Few-Points-to-Ponder
- Southern Nevada Water Authority. "Pool and Spa Leaks." (March 31, 2014) https://www.snwa.com/consv/leaks_pools.html
- Swimming Pool. "Opening Your Pool." (March 31, 2014) http://www.swimmingpool.com/maintenance/general-maintenance-and-tips/opening-your-pool
- Swimming Pool. "Protect Your Pool Over the Cold Winter." (March 31, 2014) http://www.swimmingpool.com/maintenance/general-maintenance-and-tips/cold-climate-maintenance/closing-your-pool
- Wiant, Chris. "Warning: Peeing in the Pool May Be Hazardous to Your Health." Healthy Pools. March 28, 2014. (March 31, 2014) http://healthypools.org
- WTOP-103.5 FM. "Do You Know What You're Allowed to Wear at the Pool?" July 25, 2013. (March 31, 2014) http://www.wtop.com/41/3399441/Do-you-know-what-youre-allowed-to-wear-at-the-pool
- Zimmer, Donald. "Swimming Pool Sex and More." (March 31, 2014) http://www.askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_150/162_love_answers.html
The comfort of the wide armrests, high back and slanted seat of the Adirondack chair have made it legendary since its invention in the early 1900s.