One of the most frustrating things about any fridge model is not being able to fit the things you need to store. You can't exactly fit a large box of leftover pizza in a side-by-side refrigerator because you only have half the width of the unit to use. And models with swinging door freezers aren't great for stacking boxes and bags of frozen veggies because they tend to topple. But what the French door refrigerator does well is give you lots of options.
Even though the refrigerator section has side-by-side doors, the inside is one, vast, connected space. So you still have access to the full width of the fridge for storing big items like that cookieâ€¦um, we mean veggieâ€¦platter. Plus, with adjustable shelving and drawers that can be rearranged, you're unlikely to be lacking fridge space any time soon.
Most of the freezers are also deep and have multiple levels, with sliding drawers or baskets, so you can put the items used most frequently on top (like bacon) and the less frequently used items on bottom (like that slice of wedding cake you're saving for your anniversary). Plus, since it's a drawer, you can stack frozen food without worrying about it raining down on top of you every time you open the door.
- ABT. "Buying Guides: Refrigerators." (Sept. 21, 2011). http://www.abt.com/about/Buying_refrigerator
- Allen, Gary J., and Ken Albala. "The Business of Food: Encyclopedia of the Food and Drink Industries." ABC-CLIO, 2007.
- Best Buy. "French Door Refrigerators." (Sept. 29, 2011). http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Refrigerators/French-Door-Refrigerators/abcat0901004.c?id=abcat0901004
- CNET Reviews. "Refrigerator Buying Guide." Dec. 8, 2009. (Sept. 21, 2011). http://reviews.cnet.com/refrigerator-buying-guide/?tag=mncol
- ConsumerSearch. "French Door Refrigerators." Feb. 2011. (Sept. 21, 2011). http://www.consumersearch.com/refrigerators/french-door-refrigerators
- McKenzie, Kathryn. "Building a Chic Kitchen: Latest Appliances Great for Small Spaces." Monterey County Herald, Sept. 17, 2011. (Sept. 27, 2011). http://www.montereyherald.com/homeandgarden/ci_18917449
- United States Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service. "Refrigeration and Food Safety." May 11, 2010. (Sept. 27, 2011). http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/refrigeration_%26_food_safety/#1
HowStuffWorks shows you how to organize your fridge and which food to put on the top, middle and bottom shelves and in the fridge door.