While there's no proven statistics to back up this claim, many people maintain that their clothes hold up better when washed regularly in front-loading machines. This makes sense, as the horizontal axis of a front-load washer means it spins like a dryer, so there's no agitator to move clothes around inside the drum. Because they're not being twisted, pushed and pulled by an agitator, the overall trauma to your garments is reduced. So until someone proves otherwise, consider front-load washers to be the best option for keeping your clothes looking as new as possible!
- California Energy Commission. "Clothes Washers." California Energy Commission. 2011. (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/washers.html
- Consumer Reports. "Clothes Dryer Guide." Consumer Reports. 2011. (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/clothes-dryers/clothes-dryer-buying-advice/clothes-dryer-getting-started/clothes-dryer-getting-started.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Tip of the Day: Use the Right Type and Amount of Laundry Detergent." Consumer Reports. Feb. 1, 2010. (Sept. 23, 2011) http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2010/02/prevent-washing-machine-overdosing-he-regular-detergent-mold-mildew-consumer-reports-review.html
- Consumer Reports. "Washing Machine Guide." Consumer Reports. 2011. (Sept. 23, 2011)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/washing-machines/washing-machine-buying-advice/washing-machine-types/washing-machine-types.htm
- Martha Stewart Living. "Positive Energy." Martha Stewart Living. January 2007. (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/267779/positive-energy
- Martha Stewart Living. "Tapped Out." Martha Stewart Living. July/August 2007. (Sept. 23, 2011) http://www.marthastewart.com/287072/tapped-out
- Nair, Kamala. "Clean Green." Parenting. 2011. (Sept. 23, 2011)http://www.parenting.com/article/clean-green-21355173?cid=searchresult
Bidet sales are increasing in the U.S. Learn more about the case for bidets in the U.S.A. at HowStuffWorks.