Top-load washing machines can be a little noisy sometimes, but they rarely have the window rattling potential of front-load washers. A front-load washer can cause lots of vibration and noise during the spin cycle. Some manufacturers even go so far as to recommend their equipment be installed on concrete flooring to keep the shaking to a minimum. Noisy operation may not seem like a deal breaking proposition, but if you have a baby in the house, or your spouse sleeps during the day, the prospect of having a washer that sounds like it's about to taxi down the runway may not be your idea of cutting-edge technology. After all, if manufacturers can use quiet operation as a selling point for dishwashers, shouldn't consumers be able to expect a little peace and quiet in the laundry room, too?
- California Energy Commission. "Washers." Consumer Energy Center. (10/11/11). http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/appliances/washers.html
- CNET. "Washer Buying Guide." 10/10/09. (10/11/11). http://reviews.cnet.com/washer-buying-guide/
- Consumer Guide. "Top-Loading Washers: High Efficiency, Low Price." 7/23/07. (10/11/11). https://products.howstuffworks.com/top-loading-washers-high-efficiency-low-price-article.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Washing Machine Buying Advice." (10/11/11). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/washing-machines/washing-machine-buying-advice/index.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Washing Machine Guide." (10/11/11). http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/washing-machines/washing-machine-buying-advice/washing-machine-getting-started/washing-machine-getting-started.htm
- Energy Star. "10 Tips for Renters." (10/11/11). http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.es_at_home_tips_renters10
- Energy Star. "Buyer's Guide." (10/11/11). http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=clotheswash.pr_tips_clothes_washers
- Energy Star. "Clothes Washers." (10/11/11). http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=CW
- Energy Star. "Frequently Asked Questions." (10/11/11). http://energystar.supportportal.com/link/portal/23002/23018/Article/19769/My-new-ENERGY-STAR-qualified-clothes-washer-runs-much-longer-than-my-old-clothes-washer-How-is-that-saving-energy
- Net Worx. "Choosing a Washing Machine: Top-Loading vs. Front-Loading." 1/25/11. (10/11/11). http://www.networx.com/article/choosing-a-washing-machine-top-loading
- Old and Interesting. "History of Washing Machines up to 1800." 4/14/11. (10/11/11). http://www.oldandinteresting.com/history-washing-machines.aspx
- Saving Electricity. "How much does it cost to run a washing machine?" 5/2011. (10/11/11). http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/laundry.html
- U.S. Department of Energy. "Laundry." 9/17/11. (10/11/11). http://www.energysavers.gov/tips/laundry.cfm
- Water Wise. "Washing Clothes." (10/11/11). http://www.waterwise.org.uk/reducing_water_wastage_in_the_uk/house_and_garden/washing_clothes.html
Toilet paper and tissue can't be that different right? They're both used on sensitive areas of the body. HowStuffWorks unrolls the issue.