The point of having an outdoor living space is, of course, to spend more time outdoors. However, most people also create one to attract friends and family over for social gatherings. If you set up a few deck chairs and look out at the back yard, sure, you might have a nice view, but a seating chart that involves everyone's backs against the wall makes it a little difficult to talk casually.
Creating a central point for your space can make outdoor gatherings that much more social. Well-placed seating, whether it's a bench, chairs or even a swinging chair, will help make any outdoor living space more inviting. Add a picnic table, and now you've got a place to eat meals, entertain guests or play games. Focal points don't have to include lawn furniture, though. As we've learned, you can organize your outdoor space around anything from a water feature to an outdoor kitchen. Or, if you have a green thumb, the central point could be a rose trellis or a flowering tree. The key is to effectively use the space you have in order to get the most out of it.
- How Landscaping Principles Work
- How do landscapers analyze sites?
- How Urban Landscape Design Works
- How can you make the most of your outdoor living space?
- How Rural Landscape Design Works
- How Landscape Irrigation Works
- What should you include in your outdoor living space?
- How Landscape Restoration Works
- How Green Landscaping Works
- Garskoff, Josh. "Rooms with a view." This Old House Magazine. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20199771,00.html
- HGTV.com. "Garden Lighting: Enjoy Your Landscape Day and Night." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/garden-lighting-enjoy-your-landscape-day-and-night/index.html
- Patteson, Jean. "Outdoor kitchen is the home's new social hub." Orlando Sentinel. May 28, 2010. (Dec. 29, 2011) http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-05-28/features/os-home-outdoor-kitchen-20100529_1_indoor-kitchen-outdoor-kitchen-kalamazoo-outdoor-gourmet
- Savvy Landscaping. "Winter prep for your outdoor living space." Oct. 25, 2008. http://landscaping.savvy-cafe.com/winter-prep-for-your-outdoor-living-space-2008-10-25/
The comfort of the wide armrests, high back and slanted seat of the Adirondack chair have made it legendary since its invention in the early 1900s.