If you have a home office, you might have a shredder, probably have a printer and almost certainly have a computer. You may love or hate it, but there's no doubt that having access to a computer is one of the key reasons that people are doing more work remotely.
Computers and their electronic brethren have opened up new avenues of communication that make it immaterial whether the person on the other end of a discussion is in the next room or another hemisphere. Not only that, computers offer a wealth of tools in the form of software that help us create, collaborate, control, monitor and analyze.
In 1943, Thomas Watson, the chairman of IBM, said, "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." In the intervening years, we've seen changes that would have astonished Mr. Watson and still astonish a generation of folks who thought that the invention of the television set was a neat trick [source: Behar].
The world of computers and related peripherals is always changing. Look at how quickly technology went from the floppy to the thumb drive. Consider the popularity of online software solutions or the potential for video communication. Today, you probably work with a desktop, notebook or netbook, but tomorrow, who knows?
For more useful home office information, visit the next page.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Behar, Susan and Robert Yarham. "Great Inventions." Igloo Books Ltd. 2007
- Computer Geeks Online. "Choosing the Right Office Chair." Undated. 6/8/09.http://www.computergeeksonline.net/Basics/office-chair.asp
- Consumer Reports. " By the Numbers: Office Computers Can Be a (Literal) Drain on the Bottom Line." 3/27/09.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2009/03/2009-pc-energy-report-office-computers-greenhouse-gases-1e-alliance-to-save-energy-standby-power.html?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=3&searchTerm=home%20office
- Consumer Reports. " Money and Work: 7 Ways to Help the Environment." 4/22/09. 6/4/09.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/2009/04/work-and-money-five-ways-to-help-the-environment-.html?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=4&searchTerm=home%20office
- Consumer Reports. "Printer Buying Guide." Undated. 6/2/09.http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/computers-internet/printers/printer-guide/types/printers-buying-guide-types.htm
- Consumer Reports. "Time to Plug in the Shredder and Tame the Clutter." 1/10/08. 6/5/09.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/2008/01/shred_clutter.html?resultPageIndex=1&resultIndex=2&searchTerm=shredders
- Consumer Search. "Shredders - What to Look For." 1/2009. 6/5/09.http://www.consumersearch.com/paper-shredders/important-features
- EarthScape.org. "Telecommuting." 7/02. 6/4/09.http://www.earthscape.org/p1/gbe01/gbe01_12.html
- Federal Trade Commission. "About Identity Theft." Undated. 6/5/09.http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/consumers/about-identity-theft.html#Whatisidentitytheft
- Federal Trade Commission. "Fight Back Against Identity Theft." Undated. 6/8/09.http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/
- Foss, Brad. "Telecommuters Tout Perks of Lifestyle." Associated Press. 3/14/06. 6/5/09.http://www.boston.com/business/personalfinance/articles/2006/03/14/telecommuters_tout_perks_of_lifestyle/
- Goodridge, Elisabeth. " Steps to Prevent Identity Theft, and What to Do if It Happens." The New York Times. 5/1/09. 6/5/09.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/02/your-money/identity-theft/02idtheftprimer.html?pagewanted=1&sq=identity%20theaft&st=cse&scp=5
- Hgtv.com. " Quick Tips for Home Office Organization." Undated. 6/5/09.http://www.hgtv.com/organizing/quick-tips-for-home-office-organization/index.html
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBL). " Facts about U.S. Paper Use." 2009. 6/5/09.http://eetd.lbl.gov/paper/ideas/html/uspaperuse.htm
- Lefler, Rodney K., DC. " Office Chair: Choosing the Right Ergonomic Office Chair." Undated. 6/7/09.http://www.spine-health.com/wellness/ergonomics/office-chair-choosing-right-ergonomic-office-chair
- Noble, Barbara Presley. "Home Office; The Right Attitude and the Right Stuff." The New York Times. 5/28/95. 6/10/09.http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/28/business/home-office-the-right-attitude-and-the-right-stuff.html?scp=1&sq=home%20office%20essentials&st=cse
- Paul, Donna. An Insider's Guide to the Homey Home Office." 11/28/97. The New York Times. 6/11/09.http://www.nytimes.com/1996/11/28/garden/an-insider-s-guide-to-the-homey-home-office.html?scp=23&sq=home%20office&st=cse
- Reuters. "Save Green by Going Green in Your Home Office." 2/19/2009. 6/5/09.http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS218771+19-Feb-2009+PRN20090219
- Small Business Library. "A Computer Is Only as Good as its Software." Undated. 6/7/09.http://www.bizoffice.com/library/files/softall.html
- Small Business Library. "Computerizing Your business." Undated. 6/7/09.http://www.bizoffice.com/library/files/obd15.html
- Steele, Margaret Farley. " When Home Turns Office for Two." The New York Times. 5/1/09. 6/11/09.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/nyregion/connecticut/03spousesct.html?scp=10&sq=home%20office&st=cse
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). "Paper Recycling Facts and Figures." 9/30/08. 6/5/09.www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/materials/paper/faqs.htm#offices
Can you make your home office more sustainable? Keep reading to learn about the Top 5 Ways to Make My Office More Sustainable.