Potted plants are a dime a dozen, but what about a wall full of green to decorate your outside living space? Vertical gardens are all the rage and they're just as easy to plant as they are to care for. You can buy the prefab pouches that come in a variety of widths and lengths, and they hang as a unit on a garden or house wall. For a handmade vertical garden with a rustic feel, keep an eye out for a palette on the side of the road and staple landscape fabric to the back and three sides. Fill it with soil and plant the spaces in between the boards. Then prop it up against a wall and watch it grow.
- "32 Outdoor Room Design Ideas." Housebeautiful.com. June 25, 2012. http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/outdoor-room-design-ideas#slide-5
- "Easy Outdoor Room Ideas." Bhg.com. June 25, 2012. http://www.bhg.com/home-improvement/porch/outdoor-rooms/easy-outdoor-room-ideas/#page=3
- "Growing Tomatoes Upside Down-- Good Idea or Just a Fad? "howtogardenguide.com. June 25, 2012. http://howtogardenguide.com/2009/03/18/growing-tomatoes-upside-down-good-idea-or-just-a-fad/
- "How to Turn a Pallet Into a Garden." Lifeonthebalcony.com. March 25, 2012. http://lifeonthebalcony.com/how-to-turn-a-pallet-into-a-garden/
- "Outdoor Living White Paper Update." Kleberandassociates.com. June 25, 2012. kleberandassociates.com/.../KAOutdoorLivingWhitePaperUpdate.pdf
Looking for some recipes from your backyard? Check out our From Garden to Table: Recipes from Your Backyard article now!