Your diet is also important to the health of the planet. Consider vegetarian, seasonal and local foods for your office meetings and lunches. Choosing vegetarian meals at least some of the time can make a huge difference in your footprint: 18 percent of all greenhouse-gas emissions come from livestock.
Antibiotics and hormones pumped into conventional livestock seep into our groundwater and pollute our soil, lakes, rivers and streams. If choosing vegetarian foods is out of the question, consider grass-fed, free-range meats and organic dairy that's free of hormones, antibiotics and other chemicals. Choose local and seasonal foods as well. Sourcing your food close to home saves the fossil fuels wasted in our food's average 1,500-mile (2,414 km) journey.
Select biodegradable takeout containers instead of plastic or plastic foam, and whenever possible, skip the takeout containers entirely and use reusable forks, knives, spoons, plates and cups stored at the office.
Start your day with organic, fair trade coffee housed in a reusable mug. Fair trade certification ensures that your coffee beans were grown responsibly and the workers that produced them were paid a fair wage. Instead of a soda, fill up a water bottle and stay hydrated throughout the work day.
- "How long is the average work week in the U.S.?" Library Spot. (Sept. 12, 2010.) http://www.libraryspot.com/know/workweek.htm
- Malik Char, Jaymi. "How to Buy a Green PC." Computer Shopper. (Sept. 7, 2010.) http://computershopper.com/feature/how-to-buy-a-green-pc#
- Malik Char, Jaymi. "How to Buy a Green PC: Go Small." Computer Shopper. (Sept. 7, 2010.) http://computershopper.com/feature/how-to-buy-a-green-pc2
- "Imaging Equipment." Energy Star. (Sept. 7, 2010.) http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=IEQ
- Glover, Sam. "Paperless Law Office Is Easier Than You Think." Lawyerist.com. (Sept. 10, 2010.) http://lawyerist.com/paperless-law-office/
- "The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality." EPA. (Sept. 8, 2010.) http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html
- Gordon, Jacob. "How to Go Green Furniture." Planet Green. (Sept. 9, 2010.) http://planetgreen.discovery.com/go-green/green-furniture/green-furniture-stats.html
- "NASA Study House Plants Clean Air." Zone 10. (Sept. 10, 2010.) http://www.zone10.com/nasa-study-house-plants-clean-air.html
- "Plants Clean Air and Water for Indoor Environments" NASA Spinoff. (Sept. 16, 2010.) http://www.sti.nasa.gov/tto/Spinoff2007/ps_3.html
- "Reducing Your Carbon Footprint." Expedia. (Sept. 12, 2010.) http://www.expedia.com/daily/sustainable_travel/going_green/carbon_footprint.asp
- Pagnamenta, Robin. "Climate chief Lord Stern: give up meat to save the planet." The Sunday Times. (Sept. 7, 2010.) http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6891362.ece
Organizing your home office is important in creating a comfortable and separated space. Learn where to start in organizing your home office.