Lots More Information
If you're not dusting regularly, you're letting all kinds of gross things drift around your living space. Get tips on keeping your dorm dust-free.
Author's Note: 5 Ways to Keep Pests Out of Your Dorm Room
Here's an approach I do not recommend -- the old "college try" (by which I mean, doing nothing at all).
I had a pair of friends who roomed together all through college. Our sophomore year, they chose a gigantic double room in a building that was a hundred years old (the first building to be completed on our campus). It could be said that the building was kind of decrepit. These girls weren't exactly fastidious, either. So, one night, during a Super Smash Bros. session, I tried to ignore the quick, brown streak that appeared across the back wall, moving from one bed, behind the television, to the other bed.
"I think there's a mouse in here," I said.
"Nah," said the occupants of the room. The other guests appeared unconcerned.
A few minutes later, the rodent in question cautiously approached a two-day-old pizza box which was holding a few calcified slices. Vindicated!
One of my friends casually rose from her spot, gathered her bags of chips and crackers from the floor underneath her bed, and dumped them in a Tupperware tub. The pizza stayed on the floor, the Nintendo game continued, all eyes fixed straight ahead and the mouse remained in their room for most of the year. On the upside, there were remarkably few flies and ladybugs.
- 10 Things Your Kid's Dorm Room Doesn't Need
- 5 Tips for Making Your Dorm Room a Home Away From Home
- Can steel wool stop mice?
- The Ultimate Bedbugs and Other Creatures in Your Room Quiz
- Top 5 Ways to Repel Insects
- Colonial Pest Control Inc. "Bed Bugs In Dorms." Sept. 13, 2011. (June 24, 2012) http://www.colonialpest.com/blog/bed-bugs-in-dorms
- Eden Advanced Pest Technologies. "Dorm Room Pest Control and Prevention." Sept. 14, 2011. (June 27, 2012) http://www.edenpest.com/blog/post/bed-bug-pest-control-pests-to-look-for-in-dorm-room
- Konkle, Stephanie. "Ole Miss, Oxford cope with ladybug invasion." The Daily Mississippian. Dec. 3, 2009. (June 24, 2012) http://thedmonline.com/article/ole-miss-oxford-cope-ladybug-invasion
- UMass Housing Department. "It is a ladybug and stinkbug season!" (June 29, 2012) http://www.housing.umass.edu/pdf/Ladybugs%20in%20your%20room.pdf
- Warner, Jennifer. "Foggers No Match For Bedbugs." WebMD. June 3, 2012. (June 24, 2012) http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/news/20120603/foggers-no-match-for-bedbugs