Author's Note: Should you keep your toiletries in your dorm room?
I'm not a germaphobe, but public restrooms make me what to vomit. I think it started in college. Heck, I think they only cleaned the place once a month. I flush with my feet. Only in extreme cases do I sit, and if I do it's with a Berlin Wall of toilet paper between me and who knows what. I step gingerly around the pools of liquid, especially by the urinals, and always make sure the laces on my sneakers never touch the floor. I know, too much info. Men's rooms are bad, but according to studies, women's rooms are worse.
- ABC News. "Myth: Toilet Seats are the Dirtiest Thing in the Bathroom." Oct. 14, 2005. (June 16, 2013) http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Health/story?id=1213831&page=2#.UbB89UCTiSq
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Hygiene-related Diseases." Dec. 24, 2009. (June 5, 2013). http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/hygiene/disease/athletes_foot.html
- Cigna. "Fungal Nail Infections." (June 6, 2013) http://www.cigna.com/individualandfamilies/health-and-well-being/hw/medical-topics/fungal-nail-infections-hw268101.html
- Fox News. "9 Health Hazards Hidden in College Dorms." July 26, 2011. (June 6, 2013) http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/07/26/health-hazards-hidden-in-college-dorms/
- Marston, Wendy. "Scientist at Work: Charles Gerba; On Germ Patrol, at the Kitchen Sink." The New York Times. Feb. 23, 1999. (June 5, 2013) http://www.nytimes.com/1999/02/23/health/scientist-at-work-charles-gerba-on-germ-patrol-at-the-kitchen-sink.html
- Men's Health. "New Study: Automatic Faucets = Lots of Germs. March 31, 2011. (June 6, 2013) http://blogs.menshealth.com/health-headlines/new-study-automatic-faucets-lots-of-germs/2011/03/31
- PR Newswire. "Study Shows College Students Are Not Following CDC Recommendations to Help Protect Themselves from H1N1 and Other Threatening Germs." (June 5, 2013) http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/study-shows-college-students-are-not-following-cdc-recommendations-to-help-protect-themselves-from-h1n1-and-other-threatening-germs-62781107.html
- WebMD. "What Can you Catch in Restrooms?" (June 5, 2013) http://www.webmd.com/balance/features/what-can-you-catch-in-restrooms