Stairway Water Features
One of the more innovative water features you can create resides in the middle of your stairs. Part waterfall, part fountain, it involves first setting up a rather hidden waterfall or spout somewhere at the top of your stairs or in the middle of a paved walkway -- for example, within a boulder sitting in a shallow basin. This basin is connected to a small reservoir at the bottom of the stairs via a channel that runs down the walkway or stairs. When operative, water from the waterfall or spout flows down the walkway, trickles down the stairs and into the basin below, then is pumped back up to the top. Such a novel water feature not only adds the soothing sounds of rushing water to your home, but is a surprising, fun element that will delight all your guests [source: HGTV].
For more information on water features, check out the links below.
- A Japanese Garden. "Japanese garden décor: stone basins." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.a-japanese-garden.com/japanese-garden-decor.php
- AquaScape Inc. "Fountainscapes." (Dec. 29, 2011) http://www.aquascapeinc.com/fountainscapes
- BHG. "Fountain in a Pot." (Dec. 28, 2011) http://www.bhg.com/gardening/landscaping-projects/water-gardens/fountain-in-a-pot/
- Brooks, Christopher & Lamberts, Mary. "Getting Started in Water Gardening using Miniature Ponds." Florida Agricultural Experiment Station Journal. 2000. (June 17, 2010) http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/2000%20Vol.%20113/43-44%20(BROOKS).pdf
- Caxton, Andrew. "How to build a Japanese Garden." DIY Home Network. (June 21, 2010)http://www.diyhomenetwork.net/garden/how-to-build-japanese.html
- Dickinson, Marc. "Five Basic Stepping Stones to Water Features." Servicemagic.com. (June 17, 2010)http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.5-Basic-Stepping-Stones-to-Water-Features.14684.html
- Everything-Ponds. "Give your Landscape a Face Lift with a Garden Water Feature." (Dec. 28, 2011) http://www.everything-ponds.com/garden-water-feature.html
- Gardening Know How. "Miniature Ponds: How to Build a Small Pond in your Garden." (June 18, 2010)http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gardening-how-to/how-to-build-a-small-pond.htm
- Gardenguides.com. "Rock Gardens." (June 21, 2010) http://www.gardenguides.com/593-rock-gardens.html
- Growing Wisdom. "Water Gardens." (Dec. 28, 2011) http://growingwisdom.com/index.aspx?pid=6&sid=1&cid=204
- HGTV. "Water Features for Any Budget." (Dec. 28, 2011) http://www.hgtv.com/topics/water-feature/index.html
- Morris, Tracy. "Rock Pond Garden Ideas." Gardenguides.com. (June 19, 2010) http://www.gardenguides.com/70399-rock-pond-garden-ideas.html
- The Pond Digger. "Disappearing pondless waterfall." (Dec. 28, 2011) http://www.theponddigger.com/pondless-waterfalls.php
- Wild Bird Watching. "Choosing the right birdbath to attract more birds." (June 18, 2010) http://www.wild-bird-watching.com/Bird-Bath.html
- Wise, Lauren. "Japanese Water Garden Plants." Gardenguides.com. (June 19, 2010) http://www.gardenguides.com/111050-japanese-water-garden-plants.html
- Vic Hannan Landscape Materials. "Frequently asked questions about lightweight ponds and rock features." (June 21, 2010) http://www.vichannan.com/artificialrock/faqs.htm
A new website is designed to bring farmers and heirloom seeds together. HowStuffWorks takes a look at why seed saving is more important than ever.