Most kitchens have plastic laminate countertops. They're practically seamless, giving cooks a smooth, waterproof work surface that's easy to clean. Unfortunately, plastic laminate burns, scratches and stains fairly easily, so you'll have to be considerate of your counters to keep them looking good. Follow these tips to do just that:
- Regular applications of appliance wax or light furniture wax will help laminate surfaces resist stains and scratching.
- Never use abrasive cleansers or steel wool on laminate countertops.
- For general cleaning, a two-sided scrubbing pad with fiber on one side and a sponge on the other works particularly well. Moistened slightly with water, the fiber side is just abrasive enough to loosen greasy buildup and scorched food spills.
- Bounds, Gwendolyn. "The Eco-Kitchen Challenge." The Wall Street Journal. May 17, 2008. (Dec. 23, 2011) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121098065909200055.html?mod=at_leisure_main_reviews_days_only
- C and C. "Silestone FAQ's." (Dec. 23, 2011)http://www.silestoneusa.com/docs/frequently-asked-questions.cfm
- Concrete Network. "Timeline of Concrete & Cement History." (Dec. 23, 2011) http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete-history/
- Cowell, Alan. "Michelangelo's David Is Damaged." The New York Times. Sept. 15, 1991. (Dec. 23, 2011) http://www.nytimes.com/1991/09/15/world/michelangelo-s-david-is-damaged.html
- Do It Yourself. "How To Care For Formica Countertops." (Dec. 22, 2011) http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-care-for-formica-countertops#b
- Fisette, Paul. "Wood Myths: Facts and Fictions About Wood." University of Massachusetts Amherst. 2005. (Dec. 23, 2011) http://bct.eco.umass.edu/publications/by-title/wood-myths-facts-and-fictions-about-wood/
- Formica Corporation. "Our Legacy." (Dec. 23, 2011) http://www.formica.com/en/home/ContentPage.aspx?code=PAG_OURLEGACY_EARLYYEARS&redir=1
- Geology. "Granite." (Dec. 23, 2011) http://geology.com/rocks/granite.shtml
- Georgia Granite Association. "Granite Countertop Care and Cleaning." (Dec. 23, 2011) http://georgiagraniteassociation.com/html/granite_care.html
- Silva, Tom. "Caring for Granite." This Old House Magazine. (Dec. 26, 2011) http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,1025712,00.html
- The Concrete Network. "Concrete Countertops." (Dec. 22, 2011) http://www.concretenetwork.com/countertop.pdf
- United Granite. "Stainless Steel Sink Care & Maintenance." (Dec. 26, 2011) http://www.unitedgranite.us/sink-care.php
There are items we consciously recycle and items we toss without a second thought. Here are 10 things you should never throw away at HowStuffWorks.