How to Make Underwater Fantasy Quilted Wall Hanging Pattern
Dive into this easy-to-make wall hanging for your next quilting project. The finished piece measures approximately 20 X 28 inches. To get a closer look at the quilt and its patterns, download this four-page PDF of the Underwater Fantasy Quilted Wall Hanging.
Hint: Instead of making your own yo-yos, you can purchase premade ones in fabric or craft stores.
To make the Underwater Fantasy Quilted Wall Hanging Pattern:
- From light blue print, cut 14 X 22-inch rectangle. From multicolored print, cut two 31/2 X 45-inch strips. Cut 1 strip into two 22-inch pieces and the other into two 20-inch pieces.
- Download and cut out all pattern pieces. Cut 9 X 6-inch piece fusible webbing and iron to wrong side of peach. Trace large coral pattern onto paper side of fusible webbing. Turn pattern piece over and trace 1 small reversed coral piece. Cut out corals.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
- Cut 9 X 11-inch piece fusible webbing and iron to wrong side of dark green. On paper side of fusible webbing, trace 1 large plant, 1 small plant, and 1 reversed small plant. Cut out.
- Using large circle pattern, trace and cut out the following circles: 8 dark green, 11 purple, 8 peach, 11 dark blue, 12 turquoise, 14 red, and 12 gold. Using medium circle pattern, trace and cut out the following circles: 2 dark blue and 2 gold. Using small circle pattern, trace and cut out 4 peach circles.
- From backing fabric, cut 21 X 29-inch rectangle. From medium blue print, cut three 2 X 45-inch strips for binding.
- Line up coral and plants on light blue print background. Left end plant should be 3/4 inch from left side and 7/8 inch from bottom. Large coral piece should be 71/4 inches from left side and 11/8 inches from bottom. Large plant should be 5 inches from right side and 17/8 inches from bottom. Small coral should be 35/8 inches from right side and 11/2 inches from bottom. Right end plant should be 1/2 inch from right side and 11/8 inches from bottom. Fuse appliqués.
- With right sides together, stitch 22-inch multicolored strips to top and bottom of light blue. Press seams toward strips. Stitch 20-inch multicolored strips to sides. Press seams toward strips.
- Make each circle into a yo-yo. Thread a needle with strong matching thread. Knot ends together so thread is double. Turn edge of circle under 1/4 inch toward inside around circle and hand gather as close to folded edge as possible. Pull thread tightly and knot. Press flat to form circle with gathered edge on 1 side.
- For purple sea anemones, fold yo-yo in half with stitched side on outside bottom. Make 3 of these.
- For octopus, pull large dark blue yo-yo center outward. Thread large needle with red yarn and pull through stitched end 4 times. Cut yarn ends each to 2 inches in length to make 8 tentacles.
- Each fish is a combination of anemone and octopus techniques. Sew octopus yo-yo and anemone yo-yo of same color together with matching thread at stitched ends. Make the following large fish: 1 dark blue, 2 turquoise, 3 red, and 2 gold. Make 1 dark blue and 1 gold medium fish.
- Attach yo-yo motifs to background with tacky glue or hand stitch with needle and thread. Refer to finished quilt illustration below for placement or design your own seascape. Attach small peach yo-yos to coral tips.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Underwater Fantasy Quilted Wall Hanging Pattern
- Place 8 yo-yos of each color with stitched side up around inner part of multicolored border. Our quilt uses the following order, starting at top left corner and going right: dark green, red, dark blue, gold, purple, turquoise, and peach. Firmly glue or stitch yo-yos in place.
- Layer quilt front, fleece, and back; baste. See How to Quilt to stitch binding to quilt. Glue pom eyes to octopus and fish.
Want more information? Try these:
- Find other easy-to-make wall hangings on our Easy Quilt Patterns page.
- Looking for a different quilted wall hanging? Choose one from our Quilted Wall Hanging Patterns.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.