While the steps to this quilt are a bit time consuming, you'll be glad you took the time to create this delightful design.
To make the watermelon blocks:
- Start by assembling watermelon blocks. From cream print, cut one 1 X 12-inch strip, one 1 X 45-inch strip, and six 2 X 21/2-inch rectangles. From white-on-white, cut one 1 X 12-inch strip and one 1 X 45-inch strip. From pink and black print, cut two 1 X 45-inch strips and one 11/2 X 45-inch strip. From dark pink, cut two 1 X 45-inch strips. From green, cut one 11/2 X 45-inch strip, one 11/2 X 12-inch strip, and one 1 X 45-inch strip. These quantities will make 3 watermelon blocks.
- Stitch together one 1 X 45-inch dark pink strip, one 1 X 45-inch white-on-white strip, and one 11/2 X 45-inch green strip lengthwise with white-on-white in middle. Press away from center.
- Turn and cut sewn strip into three 5-inch lengths, six 31/2-inch lengths, and six 11/2-inch lengths. These will be A units.
- Stitch together one 1 X 12-inch white-on-white strip, one 11/2 X 12-inch green strip, and one 1 X 12-inch cream strip lengthwise with green in middle. Press toward center. Turn and cut sewn strip into six 11/2-inch lengths. These will be B units.
- From pink and black 1 X 45-inch strips, cut three 41/2-inch lengths, three 1-inch lengths, three 5-inch lengths, three 11/2-inch lengths, and three 4-inch lengths. From pink and black 11/2 X 45-inch strip, cut three 7-inch lengths and three 6-inch lengths. From cream 1 X 45-inch strip, cut three 21/2-inch lengths and fifteen 11/2-inch lengths. From dark pink 1 X 45-inch strip, cut twelve 11/2-inch lengths and three 6-inch lengths. From green 1 X 45-inch strip, cut six 11/2-inch lengths. Follow diagrams to assemble strips, A units, and B units into 3 watermelon blocks. For each watermelon block, assemble pieces in diagram 5a, then pieces in diagram 5b, then pieces in diagram 5c. Finally, stitch all 3 sections together.
©2007 Publications International, Ltd.
Move onto the next page to create the crow block.
Not what you're looking for? Try these:
- Looking for a different quilted wall hanging? Choose one from our Quilted Wall Hanging Patterns.
- If this wall hanging is a bit too complicated, check out our Easy Quilt Patterns.
- Flip through our Quilt Patterns to find your next quilting project.
- Learn How to Quilt or brush up on the basics with our refresher course.