More Really Expensive Mattresses
For people looking to shell out more than a couple of grand on a bed, different companies offer a range of models along a sliding scale of prices. Magniflex of Italy is one available luxury brand; Hollandia of Israel is another.
Magniflex's priciest mattress sets are part of their Platinum Collection, and they not only surpass the price of their Gold Collection mattress sets (which feature 22-karat gold thread woven into the cover), they also top the Vividus in price. If you want to snuggle up on a Magniflex Platinum queen-size mattress, you'll be spending a whopping $75,000 [source: Sarreal]. Looking for something a little larger? For the king-size platinum, you'll need to shell out a record-breaking $90,000. These custom-designed, eco-friendly, weight-sensing memory foam mattresses are said to have design features which regulate temperature and beat away bugs, critters, odors and even stress. Want a matching ergonomic Platinum pillow? That'll be another two grand.
Althought Hollandia's wares are a little bit cheaper than those of its competitors, it's not exactly slouching off either. For $35,000 you can purchase their Elite king-size bed, part of their Platinum-Luxe Advanced Sleep Systems Series [source: Ponto]. Don't think you're getting just a really fancy mattress in this deal though. You'll also be taking home a retractable HDTV flat screen TV and a surround sound home theatre system -- complete with a DVD/CD changer and an iPod docking station. And for a small additional fee -- if you had any money left over after buying this extravagant entertainment-enabled bed -- you can stash that spare cash right inside a safe installed beneath the mattress.
If you want to continue drooling over luxury products you'll probably never be able to afford, take a look at the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
More Great Links
- Bounds, Wendy. "The Psychology of Selling a $64,950 Bed." The Wall Street Journal's Independent Street. 6/23/2008. (7/21/2008) http://blogs.wsj.com/independentstreet/2008/06/23/the-psychology-of-selling-a-64950-bed/
- Green, Penelope. "The Money's in the Mattress." New York Times. 7/12/2007. (7/22/2008) http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/garden/12mattresses.html?_r=1&oref=login
- Hastens Web site. (7/22/2008) http://www.hastens.com/en/
- "Hastens Vividus." Hastens. (7/21/2008) http://www.hastens.com/en-us/THE-COLLECTION/Continental-beds/Vividus/
- "Hollandia International Provides "SAFE-T in Bed." (7/24/2008) http://www.hollandiainternational.com/press-releases.asp
- Hollandia International Web site. (7/22/2008) http://www.hollandiainternational.com/
- Jordan, Carla. "A guide to luxury mattresses." Dallas Morning News. 8/17/2007. (7/22/2008)http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/fea/home/stories/DN-nhg_luxurymattresses_0817liv.ART.State.Edition1.42b9d69.html
- Luxury Sleep Manufacturer Hollandia to Bring New Age Designs to 2008 Las Vegas Market For First Time." Bedding and Specialty Bedroom. 6.24.2008. (7/22/2008) http://220.127.116.11/search?q=cache:Nn-anAA9KZAJ:www.hollandiainternational.com/ publicity/2008/Bedroom06242008.pdf+hollandia+mattresses+beds+prices+2008 &hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us&client=firefox-a
- "Magniflex Introduces $75,000 Mattress At Las Vegas Show." Furniture World Magazine. 2/1/2008. (7/22/2008) http://www.furninfo.com/absolutenm/templates/News.asp?articleid=8549&z=8
- Magniflex Web site. (7/22/2008) http://www.magniflex.us
- Magniflex Worldwide Web site. (7/22/2008) http://www.magniflex.com/centrale_eng.htm
- Perry, David. "Horsehair line gallops to victory at ABC Carpet." Furniture Today. 9/22/2003. (7/22/2008) http://www.allbusiness.com/manufacturing/furniture-manufacturing-mattress-mfg/6246344-1.html
- Ponto, Michelle. Personal Correspondence concerning Hollandia International Products. 7/24/2008. (7/24/2008)
- Sarreal, Catherine. "Magniflex "Platinum Collection" Unveiled at Las Vegas Furniture Market." Magniflex. (7/24/2008)
- Sarreal, Catherine. Personal Correspondence concerning Magniflex. 7/24/2008 (7/24/2008)
- Sloane, Carole. "Hastens hand-made mattress naturally yours for $49,500." Furniture Today. 11/30/2006. (7/22/2008) http://www.furnituretoday.com/article/CA6395870.html
- "Who would pay $64 950 for a bed?" Hastens Advertisement in Dwell Magazine. 6/2008. (7/21/2008)
- Yelo Web site. (7/22/2008) http://www.yelonyc.com/index.cfm