African violets, with their tiny, velvety blooms and furry deep green leaves, are the perfect decorative plant for a windowsill or kitchen counter. They love sunshine and their blooms can last for weeks. Inexpensive and widely available, you can find African violets in shades of purple, pink, blue and white.
African violets enjoy the same indoor temperatures that people do -- just keep the temperatures between 70 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (21.1 to 23.8 degrees Celsius) during the day and drop it slightly at night. African violets should be watered with warm water when the topsoil feels dry. Be careful not to get water on the leaves or they will spot. Some African violet lovers have found the easiest way to water is to fill the saucers underneath the pot so water gets absorbed from the bottom [source: Susan Ward].
- Ficusplant.org. "Braided Ficus Tree." (Accessed June 20, 2010) http://www.ficusplant.org/braided_ficus_tree/braided_ficus_tree.html.
- Glasener, Erica, and Reeves, Walter. "Georgia Gardener's Guide." Cool Springs Press. 1997.
- iVillage.com. "Top 10 Indoor Plants." (June 18, 2010)http://home.ivillage.com/gardening/picks/indoor/0,,,00.html
- Klingaman, Gerald. "Plant of the week: Ponytail Palm." ARhomeandgarden.org. March 29, 2002.http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plantoftheweek/articles/Ponytail_palm.htm.
- Myers, Melinda. "Designing with Dwarf Conifers." Fine Gardening.com. (June 18, 2010)http://www.finegardening.com/design/articles/designing-with-dwarf-conifers.aspx.
- Orchids-plus.more.com. "All about Orchids." (June 21, 2010)http://www.orchids-plus-more.com/all-about-orchids.html.
- Paxton, Rachel. "Weeping Norway Spruce." Creative Homemaking.com. 2007. (June 18, 2010)http://www.creativehomemaking.com/gardening/weeping-norway-spruce.shtml
- Perry, Leonard. "Growing Ferns Successfully Indoors." The Green Mountain Gardener. (June 18, 2010)http://www.uvm.edu/pss/ppp/articles/fernsin.html.
- Stewart, Martha. "Gardening Month-by-Month." New York: Clarkson Potter. 1991.
- Ward, Susan. "African Violets." GardenGuides.com. (June 18, 2010)http://www.gardenguides.com/675-african-violets.html.
Looking for a quick way to update your room? Check out our article Using Paint to Update a Room now!