It's safer than orange, subtler than teal and more masculine than purple -- and it can give a city home a decidedly "Nantucket" feel, like the air is salty and a cool sand beach is right outside your door.
Slate blue is a soft combination of blue and gray, and it can just add a touch of modern oomph to a neutral room while still keeping it understated. And as far as wall color goes, it's tough to go wrong with this shade of blue.
- A pale slate blue with crocus, burnt orange or olive green
- A deep slate blue with gold, lilac or pale mocha
Whether you prefer bright or light, warm or cool, bold or understated, remember this cardinal color rule: Contrast is the key to balance and gives a room depth, character and an overall pleasing feel. So mix it up, if only a bit. You don't have to be boring to be consistent.
For more information on color, home décor and style, look over the links below.
More Great Links
- "2011-2012 Color Trends." Cozy Bliss. (May 12, 2011)http://www.cozybliss.com/2011-2012-color-trends/
- "2011-2012 Home Décor Trends." Muses Magazine. (May 12, 2011)http://www.musesmag.com/muses_magazine_memo_board.html
- "2011-2012 Trends in Interior Design." A Designer Spot. (May 12, 2011)http://www.adesignerspot.com/decorating-styles/2011-2012-trends-in-interior-design.html
- "Interior Decorating and Paint Colors, Trends for 2011." Home Re-design Kaleidoscope. (May 12, 2011)http://www.design-decor-staging.com/blog/interior-decorating-paint-colors-trends-2011/21166
- Schlotter, Dee. "PPG Pittsburgh Paints Forecasts a Palette of 'Wow Color Now' for Home Décor in 2011-2012." The Voice of Color Café. Jan. 14, 2011. (May 12, 2011)http://www.voiceofcolorcafe.com/2011/01/ppg-pittsburgh-paints-forecasts-a-palette-of-wow-color-now-for-home-decor-in-2011-2012-2/
Looking for a quick way to update your room? Check out our article Using Paint to Update a Room now!