Owning a pool can be a hassle, and selling a home with a pool can sometimes be a big challenge. Families with young children worry about safety, and who can blame them? More than 300 children aged 5 or under die in submersion accidents involving pools every year. For the designated "pool man," the dream of spending a weekend afternoon sipping a mojito poolside often turns into the nightmare of constant, unrelenting pool maintenance. The supplies are expensive, and utility and electrical costs can get out of hand, too. Pools aren't the only offenders. Ponds and hot tubs can also be labor-intensive, potentially dangerous upgrades. Pools and other water features are a nice landscaping touch -- on someone else's property.
- Folger, Jean. "6 Things You Think Add Value To Your Home - But Really Don't."9/28/10. (3/1/11).http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0910/6-Things-You-Think-Add-Value-To-Your-Home---But-Really-Dont.aspx
- Germer, Jerry. "Planning Your Addition." FMC. 1998.
- Live and Learn. "Swimming Pool Safety". Undated. (3/1/11).http://www.liveandlearn.com/pools.html
- Miller, Mark R. "Miller's Guide to Home Remodeling." McGraw-Hill, 2005
- Persinos, John. "Adding Value to Your Home: Nine Changes You Think Add Value but Don't." Investing Answers. Undated. (3/1/11).http://www.investinganswers.com/a/adding-value-your-home-nine-changes-you-think-add-value-dont-1884
- Skowronski, Jeanine. "10 Risky Home Improvements." 8/5/10. (3/1/11).http://www.mainstreet.com/slideshow/real-estate/improvements/10-risky-home-improvement
Milk paint is the super inexpensive and easy to both make and use. HowStuffWorks looks at this trendy paint alternative.