Nothing is quite as beautiful as the changing colors of fall leaves. Autumn can function as a source of inspiration and relaxing presence, elements that perfectly incorporate into your home décor. Follow our simple tips to bring both the beauty and feel of the season indoors with you.
1. Contrast Color
Fall brings the lightness of summer and the darkness of winter together, merging colors in a muted contrast that creates a feeling of comfort. When choosing colors for your home, contrast-but not too much-is key. Here are some popular autumn color combinations:
- The green of summer grass against the cranberry of fall maple leaves
- The gold of fall birch leaves against shimmering red and purple, or the rich brown of late fall.
2. Leafy Texture
Much of fall's beauty lies in the glorious changing colors of autumn leaves-but beauty can be found in the leaves' textures as well. Deep, shimmering, and satin are some of the words that come to mind when gazing at autumn foliage.
You can bring these textures into your home with inexpensive touches -- from ribbons to table runners, and throws to pillows:
- Kitchen table: Place dried goldenrod or forsythia in a matte amber vase, and tie with a strand of purple acetate ribbon.
- Dining room and coffee table: Scatter dried leaves across a shimmering, inexpensive organza table runner in cream, gold, or crimson.
- Living room: Decorate the sofa with gold and purple or crimson pillows of rayon/acetate ("antique satin"). Add a chenille throw in brown, crimson, or gold for texture.
3. Creative Shadows
Fall is the season of shadows. The contrast of shadow against light makes the light appear even more brilliant, and adds warmth and depth to the atmosphere.
How can you bring this into your home? Using natural light, you can cast shadows with shades, shutters, or lace curtains. At night, use lamps to create an autumn ambiance. Shades designed to cast shadows, such as stained glass or fretwork, create a magical autumn atmosphere. Gold lampshades with soft bulbs and candles ensconced in crystal also add to the ambiance.
4. Clever Craft: Autumn Artwork
To nurture your children's love of nature, and add a personal touch to your new fall décor, consider doing a craft together. This craft displays your children's creativity and adds warmth to any room:
- Your favorite picture frame (Clear glass with no border works well.)
- Dried flowers or dried fall leaves
- Calligraphy paper
- Gold metallic pen
- Have your kids to create a poem about fall.
- Cut the calligraphy paper down to fit the frame.
- Ask your children to write the poem they created onto the calligraphy paper. (A gold metallic pen captures that fall feeling.)
- Arrange and glue dried flowers or leaves to the calligraphy paper.
- Place the calligraphy paper "picture" in the frame.
Now that you've created the perfect fall atmosphere, sit back with a glass of hot apple cider, relax, and enjoy your new surroundings! Take a well-deserved break.