Your home is a personal reflection of yourself, from style and interests to your most important component-family. Decorating with pictures and keepsakes of loved ones is a great way to express the true beauty of your household. Here are some simple suggestions to spotlight not only the treasures of your home, but also your heart.
It can be tricky to decorate with the wide array of pictures, artwork and other heirlooms that make up your family treasures. They come in all shapes, sizes and colors. But the great thing about them is that they all share a theme! So use these ideas to put your family on display.
Create one area that reflects your family's history and accomplishments. Choose a place in your home that you'll see every day, like a wall in the front hallway or part of the living room. Then pull together those family mementos that make you smile.
Trophies, photos, arts and crafts from your children or grandchildren, and heirlooms from your ancestors are what you're looking for. Just choose your favorite mementos so that this area doesn't get too cluttered.
Turn your family photos into a cohesive collection by printing all of them in black and white or in sepia tones. Framing your pictures in similar frames will also give your photos a professional photo finish.
Another way to bring out the beauty of your family photographs is to enlarge them. Turning your favorite snapshots into 8" x 10" black and white photos, then putting them in stylish frames, creates a beautiful artistic look out of your favorite family moments.
The great thing about children's artwork is how unique each piece is. You can really see the difference in their artistic skills as they get older. Using similar frames for their favorite pieces will help you create a unified look for the whole collection. Hang them alongside your family pictures, and update your frames when the kids come home with newer pieces.
To display smaller pieces, like medals, old tickets, vacation souvenirs, old jewelry and toys from your childhood, create a shadowbox. This is a useful home décor accessory that you can use to display all sorts of collections.
- Wooden box or sturdy gift box
- Paint and paintbrush
- Spray adhesive
- Decorative fabric
- Hot glue
- Hammer and nails
- Choose a paint that will go well with the rest of your collection as well as your room's décor, then paint the outside of your box.
- Cut your fabric to fit the interior bottom of the box, then spray the adhesive on both the cloth and the bottom of the box. When the adhesive gets tacky, carefully press the cloth flatly to the bottom.
- Repeat the step above with the four interior sides of the box.
- Use the hot glue to attach your mementoes artfully inside the shadowbox.
- Use the hammer and nails to hang the shadowbox on your wall along with your pictures and artwork.
Not all family treasures can go on a wall. Some of your children's larger crafts, trophies and other family heirlooms need to rest on something. If you only have a few of these pieces, set up a table underneath your family pictures and artwork. Then arrange your pieces on top of the table.
If you have more than a few trophies or family heirlooms that you want to share, install a few designer shelves. You can hang your photos and artwork around, between and among the shelves.
From tennis balls to screwdrivers, sometimes ordinary household items remind us most of the important people in our lives. With this simple, whimsical coat hook project, every time you hang up your coat, you'll see your family and smile.
- 2-3 3/4" dowel rods
- 3/4" drill bit
- Wood glue
- Wooden plaque
- Cut the dowel rods into 4" lengths, creating one for each family member.
- Using your drill bit, drill evenly spaced holes into the wooden plaque on a slight angle. You will need one hole for each dowel.
- Apply wood glue to one end of each dowel, then adhere each family member's item to a dowel. Insert the opposite end of the dowel into the plaque holes.
- Mount your coat rack to the wall in your garage, mudroom or entryway.