Displaying natural elements in your home is an inexpensive option for bringing a decorative touch to your space. Try sprucing up a rustic piece of wood by adding an artistic stain treatment.
- Piece of soft wood
- High-speed rotary tool
- Small artist's paintbrush
- Large paintbrush
- Wood stain or acrylic paint (in color darker than wood)
- Oil-based gel wood stain (in light color)
- With a pencil, draw the design of your choice on the wood. You can easily craft a stencil to guide you, or render the image freehand if you feel comfortable.
- Use your high-speed rotary tool to carve along the outline of the design.
- Lightly sand the wood piece with sandpaper to dull any rough edges.
- With your small artist's paintbrush, fill in the design with a wood stain or acrylic paint.
- Once dry, use your large paintbrush to paint the entire wood piece with a thin coat of oil-based gel wood stain. Let dry, then hang properly with mounting hardware.