Green construction is no longer new or unheard of, but it's still in a very long testing phase. Products hailed 10 years ago might be failing now and those promoted now have to prove their actual sustainability and durability. Building on a solid foundation that comes from thousands of professionals almost always -- with the exception of a handful of truly brilliant ideas -- trumps innovation.
Code violations are frustrating when working within a budget and a dream, but making green construction work its best often means working within current guidelines while new codes make their way into use. Choosing fights carefully is one option when facing a gray-green area, and assuming that your foes -- whether inspectors or local boards or play-strictly-by-the-rules builders -- have safety in mind is a worthy code of conduct to follow.
More Great Links
- BuildingGreen.com. "Indoor Environmental Air Quality." 2010. (Dec. 28, 2010)http://www.buildinggreen.com/
- Fratello, Joseph. "9 Common Wiring Mistakes and Code Violations." Fine Homebuilding, Taunton Press. 2007. (Dec. 28, 2010)http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-to/articles/common-wiring-mistakes-and-electrical-code-violations.aspx
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). "Green Plumbing and Mechanical Code Excerpt in Building Design & Construction White Paper." Nov. 10, 2009. (Dec. 27, 2010)http://www.iapmonline.org/Documents/archive/20091123_BDC_Green_Supplement_Coverage.aspx
- International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials (IAPMO). "IAPMO Green." 2010. (Dec. 27, 2010)http://www.iapmo.org/Pages/IAPMO_Green.aspx
- International Code Council (ICC). "International Green Construction Code, IGCC." 2010. (Dec. 16, 2010)http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/igcc/pages/default.aspx
- International Code Council and California Building Standards Commission. "2008 California Green Building Standards Code." 2008. (Dec. 16, 2010)
- Miller, George H. "International Green Construction Code: Game-Changer in Sustainable Building." Reuters. Nov. 23, 2010. (Dec. 16, 2010)http://in.reuters.com/article/idIN183522711520101122
- National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC). "NFRC and Energy Codes." 2010. (Dec. 27, 2010)http://www.nfrc.org/codesinfo.aspx
- Plumbing Engineer. "The I-Codes®: Safe, Green and Global." 2010. (Dec. 27, 2010)http://www.plumbingengineer.com/march_10/icc_feature.php
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "Region 9: Building and Energy Codes." June 30, 2010. (Dec. 28, 2010)http://www.epa.gov/region9/greenbuilding/building-codes.html
- Wines, James. "Green Architecture." Encyclopaedia Britannica Online. 2008. (Dec. 27, 2010)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1008921/green-architecture/280724/Principles-of-building-green
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.