If you've read articles on people who live in $200, 24-square-foot (2.23-square-meter) shacks made from junk or who sleep in capsule hotel rooms the size of old phone booths, you might have wondered if these are the wave of the future [source: Wadler]. People in London, Mexico City and the United States are using old shipping containers as homes, and the Keetwonen student dorm complex in Amsterdam is a veritable village of containers used to house more than 1,000 university students [source: Open Architecture Network].
Just as mid-century modern designs by Joseph Eichler in the 1960s didn't take off wildly during their time, but have since become models for reproducing and gleaning the best of their kind, some of what we see today as wacky may lead to practical innovations in mainstream green, environmentally friendly housing. Architects and designers coming into their own today have grown up with the greening of architecture, so it's likely to be less of an afterthought and more a part of good, holistic housing of the near future, with or without the miniature size, high cost and funky functionalism.
More Great Links
- Alvarado, Paula. "Guy Builds Massive House with Recycled Glass Bottles, Shows You How to Do It." Treehugger.com. Mar. 3, 2010. (Mar. 8, 2011)http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010/03/guy-builds-massive-house-with-recycled-glass-bottles-teaches-you-how-to-do-it-video.php
- Black Mountain College, Museum + Arts Center. "IDEAS + INVENTIONS: Buckminster Fuller and Black Mountain College." 2011. (Mar. 4, 2011)http://www.blackmountaincollege.org/index.php/past-bmcm-ac-events/94-ideas-inventions-buckminster-fuller-and-black-mountain-college
- Building Materials Reuse Association (BMRA). "Directory." 2010. (Mar. 4, 2011)http://www.bmra.org/listings/browse-by-state?catid=3
- California Energy Commission. "Earth Based Techniques." Consumer Energy Center. 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.consumerenergycenter.org/home/construction/earth.html
- Cohousing Association of the United States. "What Is Cohousing?" 2011. (Mar. 8, 2011)http://www.cohousing.org/what_is_cohousing
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Adobe." 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/6203/adobe
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Pueblo Architecture." 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/482743/pueblo-architecture
- Encyclopaedia Britannica. "Rammed Earth." 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/490696/rammed-earth
- Heavens, Alan J. "U.S. Average Home Size Shrunk in 2009." The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philly.com. June 18, 2010. (Mar. 6, 2011)http://articles.philly.com/2010-06-18/business/24963342_1_first-time-buyers-house-size-size-of-new-homes
- Howard, Brian Clark. "Amazing Homes and Offices Built From Shipping Containers." 2011. (Mar. 6, 2011)http://realestate.msn.com/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=23625182
- Lah, Kyung. "Ultra-small Is Beautiful for Japanese Homeowner." CNN.com. Nov. 15, 2010. (Mar. 6, 2011)http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/11/12/japan.ultra.tiny.home/index.html
- MalcolmWells.com. "Underground Architecture Does Not Mean This." 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.malcolmwells.com/graphics/whatisuga.gif
- McGraw-Hill Construction Continuing Education. "Re-energizing an Icon: Transforming a Mid-Century Modern House into a Green, Zero-Energy, 21st-Century Home." 2011. (Mar. 6, 2011)http://continuingeducation.construction.com/crs.php?L=39&C=667
- Murphy, Kate. "One Man's Trash..." The New York Times. Sept. 2, 2009. (Mar. 8, 2011)http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/garden/03recycle.html
- Open Architecture Network.org. "Keetwonen (Amsterdam Student Housing)." 2010. (Mar. 8, 2011)http://openarchitecturenetwork.org/projects/6354
- Piedmont-Palladino, Susan and Branch, Mark Alden. Devil's Workshop: 25 Years of Jersey Devil Architecture. Princeton Architectural Press. 1997.
- Roberts, Tristan, et al. "Do Adobe Homes Really Work in All Climates?" BuildingGreen.com. Oct. 26, 2010. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.buildinggreen.com/live/index.cfm/2010/10/26/Do-adobe-homes-really-work-in-all-climates--Book-review
- Salwen, Kevin. "Giving Up Half Our Possessions Made Our Family Whole." HuffingtonPost.com. Feb. 4, 2011. (Mar. 6, 2011)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kevin-salwen/the-slightly-absurd-thing_b_817480.html
- U.S. Department of Energy. "Earth-Sheltered Home Design." USA.gov. Feb. 9, 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/designing_remodeling/index.cfm/mytopic=10100
- U.S. Department of Energy. "The R-Value of Insulation." USA.gov. 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11340
- United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). "Location Efficiency and Housing Type -- Boiling It Down to BTUs." January 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.epa.gov/smartgrowth/location_efficiency_BTU.htm
- Wadler, Joyce. "The $200 Microhouse." The New York Times. Feb. 23, 2011. (Mar. 3, 2011)http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/garden/24tiny.html?src=twrhp
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.