Cabinets that are constructed well and made from good materials with low-toxicity sealants help the environment because they're easier to recycle and they last longer. That quality tends to cost more, however. There are three main things to keep in mind if you have quality cabinets built for your kitchen:
- Materials: Your cabinet boxes, frames and shelves should be made from plywood or solid wood. The shelves should have metal clips for adjustments in shelf placement. These materials will ensure that the cabinets have a long life and will be too durable for casual replacement later on.
- Construction: Craftsmanship goes a long way in making sure your cabinets hold up for many years. The cabinet-maker should use thicker panels for the boxes and shelves, as well as sturdy corner braces for reinforcement. There needs to be a substantial hang rail (a bracket that attaches the cabinets to the walls) and dovetail joints are preferable for drawers. Drawers should also feature thick bottom panels for durability and good slides, which will allow the drawer to function at optimal capacity.
- Finish: Kitchens are greasy, steamy and usually experience a lot of temperature changes, so the finish needs to be free of chemicals but also long-lasting. Look for finishes that are catalyzed and/or offer UV protection. Your varnish or lacquer needs to be durable and also attractive to give the cabinets a long, low-maintenance life [source: Kitchen Cabinets].
The kitchen design options for the environmentally-friendly consumer are plentiful, especially when it comes to cabinets If you keep yourself informed and keep your eyes open for the best deals, you can make stylish, cost-effective and green updates to your home.
- Affordablekitchencabinets.org. "How to Find and Restore Vintage Metal Cabinets." (April 28, 2011). http://www.affordablekitchencabinets.org/metal-kitchen-cabinets.php
- Ag Power Magazine Online. "Wheatstraw Gets New Lease on Life." (April 26, 2011)http://www.agpowermag.com/articles/articles.php?articleid=623
- Aposporos, Demetra. "Kitchen Cabinet Revolution." Old House Journal Online. (April 25, 2011)http://www.oldhouseonline.com/kitchen-cabinet-revolution/
- Building-your-green-home.com. "Formaldehyde/FEMA." (April 26, 2011)http://www.building-your-green-home.com/formaldehyde-FEMA.html
- Building-your-green-home.com."Green Benefits of Metal Kitchen Cabinets."(April 27, 2011)http://www.building-your-green-home.com/metal-kitchen-cabinets.html
- Carter, John. "What to Look For in Kitchen Cabinets." This Old House Magazine Online. (April 25, 2011)http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,201652,00.html
- CDC.gov."Formaldehyde Related Health-Concerns."(April 26, 2011)http://www.cdc.gov/Features/FEMAtrailers/
- Connors, Tiffany. "Are Bamboo Floors Really Green?" HowStuffWorks.com. (April 26, 2011)https://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/bamboo-floors-really-green3.htm
- Construction Waste Management. "Sustainable Sources." (April 27, 2011)http://constructionwaste.sustainablesources.com/
- EPA.gov. "An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)." (April 26, 2011)http://www.epa.gov/iaq/formalde.html
- EPA.gov. "Environmentally Preferable Purchasing (EPP)." (April 26, 2011)http://yosemite1.epa.gov/oppt/eppstand2.nsf/Pages/VendorLists.html?Open
- EPA.gov."Green Building." (April 27, 2011)http://www.epa.gov/greenhomes/
- EPA.gov. "Healthcare: Top 5 Green Building Strategies." (April 27, 2011)http://www.epa.gov/region9/waste/p2/pdf/flooring-final-071126.pdf
- Fao.org. "Criteria and Indicators for Sustainable Forest Management." (April 27, 2011)http://www.fao.org/docrep/w8212e/w8212e04.htm#a definition of sustainable tropical forest management for wood production
- FSC.org. "Where Can I Find FSC Certified Products?" (April 27, 2011) http://www.fsc.org/buy-fsc-products.html
- Goodtobegreen.com. "Wheat/Straw Particleboard." (April 26, 2011)http://www.goodtobegreen.com/res_buildingguide_cabinets.aspx
- Greenexamacademy.com."Indoor Environmental Air Quality Standards 4.1: Low-Emitting Materials (Sealants)." (April 27, 2011)http://www.greenexamacademy.com/eq4-1/Greenbuildingsupply.com.
- "Healthy Low-VOC Interior and Exterior Sealers." (April 27, 2011)http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/Public/Non-ToxicFinishes/Sealers/index.cfm
- Greencabinetsource.org. "KMCA Environmental Stewardship Program: Make sure more than just your cabinets last." (April 27, 2011)http://www.greencabinetsource.org/
- Greenconcepthome.com. "What is Eco-Friendly Cabinetry?" (April 26, 2011)http://www.greenconcepthome.com/2010/01/14/eco-friendly-cabinetry/
- Greenmagonline.com. "Engineered Woods." (April 27, 2011)http://www.greenmagonline.com/?p=219
- Greenseal.org."Green Seal Standards: Paints and Coatings." (April 26, 2011)http://www.greenseal.org/GreenBusiness/Standards.aspx?vid=StandardCategory&cid=13
- Greenseal.org."Green Seal (GS) Verification Standards." (April 26, 2011)http://www.greenseal.org/Portals/0/Documents/Standards/Claim%20Verification/Claim%20Verification%20Requirements%20UPDATE.pdfHealthy Building Network Online.
- "Alternative Resins Binders for Particleboard, Medium Density Fiberboard, and Wheatboard." (April 26, 2011)http://www.healthybuilding.net/healthcare/2008-04-10_alt_resin_binders_particleboard.pdf
- Healthy Building Network Online. "Formaldehyde and Wood." (April 26, 2011) http://www.healthybuilding.net/formaldehyde/
- KMCA.org. "About KMCA." (April 25, 2011) http://www.kcma.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=About.welcome
- Koch, Wendy. "US Law Requires Less Formaldehyde in Wood Products." USA Today Online. (April 27, 2011) http://content.usatoday.com/communities/greenhouse/post/2010/07/law-wood-less-formaldehyde/1
- Lumber Salvage. "Top 10 Free Sources for Cheap, Free and Recycled Wood." www.toolcrib.com. (April 28, 2011)http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/10/lumber-salvage-the-top-10-sources-for-cheap-free-and-recycled-wood
- Orr, Leland. "Wood Adhesives: A Market Study." USB. (April 25, 2011)http://www.soynewuses.org/downloads/reports/final_WoodAdhesivesMarketOpportunity.pdf
- Papa, Joey. "Recycling Old Cabinets." 1800Recycling. (April 28, 2011)http://1800recycling.com/2010/05/recycling-cabinets/
- RetroRenovation.com. "Vintage Montgomery Ward Metal Kitchen Cabinets." (April 28, 2011)http://retrorenovation.com/2009/05/09/vintage-1941-montgomery-ward-metal-kitchen-cabinets/
- Sawyers, Harry. "FEMA's Formaldehyde Woes May Change Particleboard Business." Popular Mechanics Magazine Online. (April 26, 2011)http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/4279057
- TheHomeAdventure.com. "Metal Kitchen Cabinets." (April 27, 2011)http://thehomeadventure.com/metal-kitchen-cabinets/
- The New Ecologist. "Bamboo Housing Project Can Become a Natural Disaster Relief." (April 26, 2011) http://www.thenewecologist.com/2011/04/bamboo-housing-project/
- USArchitecture.com. "Lumber Supplies." (April 28, 2011)http://www.usarchitecture.com/building_suppliers/Lumber.htm
- Woodfinder.com. "Find Local Wood by Zipcode." (April 28, 2011)http://www.woodfinder.com/
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.