Your kitchen has parts that you can easily swap out toward the end of construction or remodeling. An assortment of places to find recycled phones, dish towels, clocks, framed artwork, vases, centerpieces, curtains, lighting fixtures, and even dishes and kitchenware exist today. You can find items to add to your kitchen at garage sales, vintage shops, the Salvation Army and other thrift stores. Additionally, online auction sites and online garage sale sites offer quick resources to find materials in your area.
The biggest benefit you'll notice is that pound for penny, you're getting these kitchen materials cheaply. But as the demand for these recycled goods grows, an added benefit is emerging, and that is that these recycled materials aren't ending up in landfills.
Watch out for online scams, though, especially if you're using a site operated largely based on user postings of sale items. Always use Web sites that offer a refund option or use a moderator to ensure secured sales. You might have to pay a bit more because the site is providing a service, but that service is your safety.
- Antique Woods. "Reclaimed Wood Flooring." Antiquewoods.net. 2010. (March 2, 2011).http://www.antiquewoods.net/services/pricing.htm
- American Forests. "Nutrient Cycle." (March 2, 2011).http://www.americanforests.org/kids/PDF_s/Activiity_7.pdf
- APCOR. "Overview: From Bark to Bottle." (March 1, 2011).http://www.realcork.org/artigo/3.htm
- Ballinger, Barbara. "Corian to Cork: New Trends in Kitchen Materials." Realtor.org. February 2009. (March 2, 2011).http://www.realtor.org/rmohome_and_design/architecturecoach/articlearchive/0902_architecturecoach_countertops
- Blindschalet.com. "Chalet Composite Shutters - Stains." (March 2, 2011.)http://www.blindschalet.com/products.aspx?id=10334&wi=40.000&hi=106.000&src=froogle&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=products
- California Waste Management Board. "Bamboo Flooring." August 2003. (March 2, 2011).http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/publications/GreenBuilding/43303017.pdf
- Cork Facts. "Natural Cork Production." (March 2, 2011).http://www.corkfacts.com/natlcrk11.htm
- Ecohaus. "Sierra." (March 3, 2011). http://www.ecohaus.com/C-791/suberra
- ENERGY STAR. "Light bulbs (CFLs) for Consumers." (March 2, 2011).http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=find_a_product.showProductGroup&pgw_code=LB
- EnviroGLAS. 2009. (March 2, 2011).http://www.enviroglasproducts.com/about.asp
- Green-living.com. 2011. (March 2, 2011).http://www.green-living.com/paintproducts.aspx
- Homedepot.com. "Handy Home Products Large Window Shutters (2-Pack)" (March 2, 2011).http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&productId=100592160&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=100592160&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googlebase-_-D28X-_-100592160&locStoreNum=3011
- International Living Building Institute. "Eco-Sense." 2010. (March 2, 2011).http://ilbi.org/lbc/case_studies/ecosense/home
- Home Style Choices. "Reclaimed Wood Flooring: Choosing a Floor with History." (March 2, 2011).http://www.home-style-choices.com/reclaimed-wood-flooring.html
- Homewyse. "Cost of Vetrazzo Countertops." Feb. 2011. (March 2, 2011).http://homewyse.com/costs/cost_of_vetrazzo_countertops.html
- Masterson, Danielle. "Good Wood." National Geographic. Republished from The Green Guide. (March 3, 2011).http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/habitats/good-wood/
- Menesis, J. L. Calheiros E. "The cork industry in Portugal." University of Wisconsin. (Feb. 24, 2011).http://www.uwec.edu/Geography/Ivogeler/Travel/Portugal/cork-article2.htm
- Milioti, Stephen. "Is Bamboo Flooring a Good Idea or Just a Fad?" The New York Times. April 17, 2008. (March 2, 2011).http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/17/garden/17room.html
- Nebraska Conservation Office. "Recycled Construction Materials." (March 2, 2011).http://www.neo.ne.gov/home_const/factsheets/recycled_const_mat.htm
- Oikos. "Cali Bamboo Green Building Products." Oikos.com. (March 2, 2011).http://oikos.com/products/wood-plastics/calibamboo/
- Riddell, Lindsay. "Green countertop maker Vetrazzo may leave state." San Francisco Business Times. May 2, 2010. (March 2, 2011.)http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2010/05/03/story7.html
- Scottsdale Green Building Program. "Building Materials." ScottsdaleAZ.gov. Sept. 29, 2006. (Feb. 24, 2011).www.scottsdaleaz.gov/Assets/Public%2BWebsite/greenbuilding/GBMaterials.pdf
- Stablum, Anna. "Increase in North America on Scarcity of Metal, CRU Says." Bloomberg.com. July 16, 2010. (March 2, 2011). http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-07-16/aluminum-premiums-increase-in-north-america-on-scarcity-of-metal-cru-says.html
- Sunset magazine. "Eco-friendly kitchen countertops." 2011. (March 2, 2011).http://www.sunset.com/home/natural-home/eco-friendly-kitchen-counters-00400000011823/
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. "An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)." Nov. 29, 2010. (March 2, 2011).http://www.epa.gov/iaq/voc.html
- Vetrazzo.com. 2006. (March 2, 2011.)http://www.vetrazzo.com/index.asp
- Waggoner, Ben. "Robert Hooke." Berkley.edu. July 5, 1995. Updated January 20, 2001. (March 2, 2011.)http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/hooke.html
- Weatherhead School of Management. TerraMai: "Deconstructing Wood to Reconstruct Our Planet." Case Western Reserve University. June 19, 2008. (March 3, 2011). http://worldinquiry.case.edu/bankInnovationView.cfm?idArchive=624
- Wetlands-Preserve. "Reclaimed Hardwoods Will Be Used for Asbury Park Boardwalk Renovations." Wetlands-preserve.org. April 2001. (March 2, 2011).http://www.wetlands-preserve.org/?page=WorksApril01
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.