Seal up the roof, put in some planters, pick some hardy plants, and you've got a living roof. That's right -- plants on the roof.
It's a great concept, but it's not exactly cheap and easy to maintain. For one thing, you'll need a structural evaluation to assess how much load the building can take. Then you make decisions from there.
The National Association of Home Builders, in an evaluation of the roofs, determined that they do have thermal resistance and insulation properties. But you can't just plant it and forget it -- it needs constant maintenance, just like a garden. And whatever you do, don't try to grow an oak tree up there.
To read more articles on roofing and green building, check out the links below.
- Beacon Commercial Roofing. "Modified Bitumen." (May 3, 2011)http://www.beaconroofingsupply.com/commercial-roofing/modified-bitumen/default.html
- Clark, Jessica. Marketing liaison, Cool Roof Rating Council. Personal interview. April 22, 2011.
- Ludowici Roof Tile. (April 26, 2011)http://www.ludowici.com/color_choice/go_green
- NAHB Research Center. "Residential Green Roof Systems." (April 28, 2011)http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Roofs/green-roofs
- National Coatings. "Reflective Roof Coating." (May 3, 2011)http://www.nationalcoatings.com/Reflective_Roof_Coating.html
- National Roofing Contractors Association. "Built-up roof (BUR) membranes." (May 3, 2011)http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/bur.aspx
- National Roofing Contractors Association. "Thermoplastic membranes." (April 28, 2011)http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/thermop.aspx
- National Roofing Contractors Association. "Thermoset membranes." (April 28, 2011)http://www.nrca.net/consumer/types/thermos.aspx
- RSI Magazine. "Ballast and paver systems save as much as cool roofs." May 28, 2008. (May 3, 2011)http://www.azcoolroof.com/downloads/Resources/Ballasted%20System%20-%20Energy%20Efficient.pdf
- Single Ply Roofing Industry. "Single Ply Roofing in Perspective." (May 3, 2011)http://www.spri.org/perspective/
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.