Tough economic climates often result in people finding innovative ways to save money. Owning a full set of power tools is pricey, both in purchase prices and maintenance costs. Rather than buying tools that you'll use only occasionally, consider renting or swapping with friends.
Renting is a form of green tool usage, because if you borrow instead of buying new, there will be fewer tools circulating on the planet. The benefit of fewer tools circulating is that fewer tools will end up in the landfill. This is an excellent option for tools that you use only occasionally.
Another trend for green tool use is swapping. Circles of friends, and even neighborhoods, are creating swap programs in which they each own different sets of tools and swap with each other as needed. Since not all tools have easy-to-obtain green counterparts, you can go green by cutting back on consumption.
For more information on green tools and green building, check out the links below.
- 10 Questions to Ask Your Green Contractor
- 10 Eco-friendly Home Construction Options for Any Budget
- How Green Building Works
- Why should I use hot-dipped nails?
- Chain Saw Buying Guide
- How does rust work?
- Curiosity Project: 10 Natural Building Materials
- ChainsawComparisons.com. "Electric Chainsaw Reviews." (Feb. 1, 2011) http://www.chainsaw-comparisons.com/electric-chainsaw.html
- Green Options. "Advantages Of Electric Lawn Mowers." (Feb. 3, 2011) http://www.greenoptions.com/wiki/advantages-of-electric-lawn-mowers
- Lipford, Danny. "Advantages of Rechargeable Cordless Lawn Mowers." Today's Homeowner. (Feb. 6, 2011) http://www.dannylipford.com/video/advantages-of-rechargeable-cordless-lawn-mowers/
- Lucas, Steve. "Solar Powered Hand Tools." The Farm. (Feb. 6, 2011)http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/spht.htm
- Nature's Control. "The Pest: Mealybugs." 2008. (Feb. 3, 2011) http://www.naturescontrol.com/mealybug.html
- Sandru, Mihai. "Power Tools Recharged In Less Than a Minute by New Lithium-Ion Ultracapacitor." The Green Optimistic. Jan. 12, 2011. (Feb. 3, 2011)http://www.greenoptimistic.com/2011/01/12/ioxus-lithium-ion-ultracapacitor/
Green Roofs And White Roofs: Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy. Keep reading to learn about Low Tech Ways To Save Tons Of Energy.