Lots More Information
Do you know How to Extend an Existing Deck? Keep reading to learn the proper way to Extend an Existing Deck.
Author's Note: 10 Major Construction Mistakes
As you probably guessed from reading this article, my husband and I recently went through a couple of serious renovations ourselves. We built a two bedroom, one bathroom addition last winter and had to replace the roof on the older part of the house just a couple of months ago. Like many homeowners, we learned as we went. We were very fortunate to have a neighbor who is also an architect that was able to hold our hand through the big renovation, and he saved us from quite a few of the common pitfalls that come with projects like these.
There were some tough times, especially when we were working on the addition. The hardest part for us, by far, was when they hung and sanded the drywall. Drywall dust gets absolutely everywhere. People tried to warn us, but it still didn't prepare me for weeks of drywall dust on everything in our house. I have never been so happy to vacuum and dust in my life as when that part of the project was finished.
Renovations can be disruptive and noisy, but it's also a lot of fun to watch your home transform and even to get in there and do some of the work yourself.
- Angie's List. "Licensed, bonded & insured." (March 5, 2012) http://www.angieslist.com/contractor/license-bonded-insured.htm
- Friends of John Garner Museum. "Historic Building + Renovations = Expect the Unexpected." (March 14, 2012) http://www.friendsofjohngarnermuseum.org/2009phase2construction/expecttheunexpected.html
- HGTV. "25 Biggest Renovating Mistakes." (March 14, 2012) http://www.hgtv.com/home-improvement/25-biggest-renovating-mistakes/index.html
- HUD. "Rehab a Home w/HUD's 203(k)." U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (March 5, 2012) http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/housing/sfh/203k/203kabou
- Karma Construction. "The 15 Biggest Remodeling Mistakes...and how to avoid them." (March 5, 2012) http://www.karmaconstruction.com/15_Biggest_Remodeling_Mistakes.html
- Kirkwood, Chrissy. "Common Mistakes Homeowners Make During Renovations." Trulia. March 21, 2011. (March 14, 2012) http://www.trulia.com/blog/nashville_real_estate/2011/03/common_mistakes_homeowners_make_during_renovations
- Soniak, Matt. "Why Does the Leaning Tower of Pisa Lean?" Mental Floss. August 18, 2011. (March 5, 2012) http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/97422