Hooray! Wait, What? Clean Up?
You've got that wretched wall out of the way, but not so fast! Hold off on the celebration -- your work is not quite done. It's time to pretty up the floor, ceiling and adjacent walls surrounding the newly freed up space. This typically involves patching up any spots that need replacement drywall (admit it, you didn't quite manage to perfectly stick to that line you scored) as well as painting and finishing the surrounding area to make sure it jives with the rest of the place.
You'll also want to dispose of the debris from your project sooner rather than later, especially if you have children or pets. Pink insulation looks a little too much like cotton candy to leave it lying about. Get all that stuff in the trash, fast. And enjoy your new, more open floor plan.
Author's Note: 5 Ways to Tear Down an Interior Wall
This article was interesting to write because it was something I had zero prior experience with. My family has never overly concerned itself with walls -- except for the fact that they're real estate to hang pictures and artwork on.
That being said, I was intrigued with how much prep work needs to go into this process. I had never really considered what needs to happen before someone takes down a wall. Once I researched the topic, it made sense, but it's one of those things that I'd never given much thought to before. I'm glad I know now, in case at some point I get the urge to go sledgehammer happy!
- Burnett, Bill and Burnett, Kevin." Tear down the walls, here's how." Aug. 23, 2008. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/22/HO4Q12E77G.DTL
- Fauth, Fred. "How to Remove Stud Walls to Create an Open Floor Plan." OneProjectCloser.com. Jan. 12, 2012. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/how-to-remove-stud-walls-to-create-an-open-floor-plan/
- "How To: Basic Wall Demolition. DIY Network. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-basic-wall-demolition/index.html
- "How to Demolish a Knee Wall and Patch the Area." DIY Network. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-demolish-a-knee-wall/index.html
- "How to Knock Down a Wall." DIY Network. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-demolish-a-knee-wall/index.html
- "Types of Insulation." U.S. Department of Energy. (April 18, 2012.) http://www.energysavers.gov/your_home/insulation_airsealing/index.cfm/mytopic=11510
Do you know How to Extend an Existing Deck? Keep reading to learn the proper way to Extend an Existing Deck.