Read the Fine Print: Carpet Warranties
The warranty is perhaps the most important and revealing information on a carpet label.
However, it's a misleading rule of thumb that the better the warranty is, the better the carpet quality. Although this is generally true, some manufacturers like to take advantage of this belief and fashion a warranty that looks much better than it is. That's why it's always important to read the fine print.
Wear warranties supposedly protect against carpet wear, but conditions may stipulate that a certain percentage of the carpet would have to be worn before the manufacturer will repair it. And even then, they it'll only repair the section with wear [source: Goddard]. Wear warranties alone won't protect against manufacturing defects, so look for a manufacturing warranty that also protects your carpet if it falls apart due to shoddy workmanship.
Another kind is stain warranties, which are good, but are almost always riddled with conditions. Consumers shouldn't expect any carpet to be completely stain-proof no matter what, and manufacturers want to protect themselves. So, pay special attention to the fine print that lists the proper maintenance of the carpet. It might require you to get the carpet professionally cleaned periodically (keep the receipts!). If you don't follow the conditions, the manufacturer won't honor the warranty.
Obviously, carpet shopping is a lot more involved than it looks. But even though it requires more attention and care than other flooring choices, carpet offers advantages of comfort, insulation and style that may make it worth it.
- Ashton, Karen, et al. "The Toxic Consumer: Living Healthy in a Hazardous World." Kensington Publishing Corp., 2008. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://books.google.com/books?id=_5tlcLRXIxgC
- BobVila.com. "Choosing Carpet: What to Look for Before You Buy." BobVila.com. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.bobvila.com/HowTo_Library/Choosing_Carpet_What_to_Look_For_Before_You_Buy-Carpeting-A1554.html
- Carpet Institute. "Thermal Insulation Performance of Carpet." Carpet Institute of Australia Limited. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetinstitute.com.au/downloads/pubs/factsh_thermal.pdf
- Consumer Reports. "Wall-to-wall Carpeting." Consumer Reports. November, 2007. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/bed-bath/home-decoration/wall-to-wall-carpeting/overview/index.htm
- Cooper, Joe. "Carpet Benefits." Carpet Buyer's Handbook. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/buying-carpet/important-buying-info/carpet-benefits.php
- Cooper, Joe. "Carpet Fibers." Carpet Buyer's Handbook. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/carpet-basics/construction-fibers/pile-fibers.php
- CPSC. "Tips for Purchasing and Installing New Carpet." US Consumer Product Safety Commission. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/454.html
- CRI. "Commercial Customers: Carpet and Rug Construction: Understanding Carpet Construction." Carpet and Rug Institute. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercial-customers/selecting-the-right-carpet/carpet-and-rug-construction.cfm
- CRI. "Understanding Thermal Values (R-Values) of Carpet and Cushion." Carpet and Rug Institute.http://www.carpet-rug.org/pdf_word_docs/UnderstandingRvalues.pdf
- EPA. "The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality." Environmental Protection Agency. Last updated Sept. 30, 2010. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://epa.gov/iaq/pubs/insidest.html
- Goddard, Jim. "Carpet Guru's Carpet College." CarpetGuru.com. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetguru.com/
- Hilton, Michael. "Construction Basics." The Carpet Buyer's Handbook. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/carpet-basics/construction-fibers/construction-basics.php
- Hilton, Michael. "Carpet Measuring." The Carpet Buyer's Handbook. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/buying-carpet/important-buying-info/carpet-measuring.phplivepage.apple.com
- Hilton, Michael. "Stainmaster Carpet." The Carpet Buyer's Handbook. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpetbuyershandbook.com/carpet-basics/topical-treatments/dupont-stainmaster.php
- Home Depot. "Carpet Buying Guide." Home Depot. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SV_HS_Carpet_Performance_Durability&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=1
- Marty, Diane. "Consumer News: Carpet Highs and Whoas." The Environmental Magazine. Vol. 18, Issue 2. March 1, 2007.
- Shaw Floors. "Comparing Carpet." Shaw Floors. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.shawfloors.com/Tips-Trends/Carpet-Comparing
- ShawMark. "Understanding Carpet Quality." ShawMark. Shaw Industries. Carpet-USA.org. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://www.carpet-usa.com/bbargain/carpetquality.pdf
- Williams, Rose Marie. "Carpet Politics and Alternatives." Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. BNet. August, 2001. (Oct. 8, 2010)http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2001_August/ai_78177235/?tag=content;col1
Do you know what R-value is? Find out what R-value is in this article from HowStuffWorks.