Do Your Homework
Research your DIY projects thoroughly. Read the labels on all project materials you buy, and pay particular attention to the safety directions. Reacquaint yourself with the proper use of your tools before each project.
The Internet is a great source for guidance when it comes to home improvement, and many manufacturers will have a presence on the Web you can tap for additional information and support. The more you know, the safer you and your family will be.
- American Academy of Ophthalmology. "Ophthalmologists Issue New Recommendation in Effort to Prevent Eye Injuries at Home" 7/1/08. 5/27/10.http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/resources/upload/Press-Kit-on-EyeSmart-letterhead.pdf
- American College of Emergency Physicians. "Safety Tips for Being Handy in the Home." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www3.acep.org/patients.aspx?id=26180
- BBC - Homes. DIY Safety. Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/diy/safety.shtml
- Better Homes and Gardens. "The New Remodeling Book." BHGM 1998.
- Boyles, Salynn. "Nearly Half of Eye Injuries Occur at Home." 7/2/08. 5/27/10.http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=90773
- Consumer Reports. "By the Numbers: Home-improvement spending projected to grow by end of 2010, says Harvard's Joint Center for Housing Studies. 4/16/10. 5/25/10.http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/04/jchs-lira-index-home-improvement-spending-project-to-rise-kitchen-planning-remodeling-.html
- Consumer Reports. "Spring Has Sprung With CRs Home & Yard Spruce-Ups and Safety Tips." 4/6/10. 5/26/10.http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2010/04/cr-rates-the-top-lawn-gadgets-in-their-biggest-mower-tests-to-date--yonkers-ny-spring-time-signals-a-fresh-start-for-hom.html
- CPSC. "Chain Saw Kickback Hazard." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5011.html
- CPSC. "CPSC Offers Safety Tips to Prevent Ladder Injuries." Undated. 5/27/10.http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/ladder.html
- CPSC. "Flammable Liquid Vapors Are Invisible, Explosive and Unpredictable." Undated 5/26/10.http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5140.pdf
- CPSC. "Riding Lawnmowers." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/588.html
- CPSC. "Weed Trimmers Can Throw Objects and Injure Eyes." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5108.html
- Dept. of Trade and Industry. "Painless DIY - Safety with Tools." Undated. 5/26/10.http://www.diy2u.net/cms/diytips-46.html
- DIY Primer. "DIY Safety." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.diyprimer.co.uk/Safety/DIY_Safety.html
- Do It Yourself. "10 Most Dangerous Electrical Safety Hazards." Undated 5/26/10.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/the-10-most-dangerous-electrical-safety-hazards
- Do It Yourself. "The Importance of Inspecting Electrical Cords." Undated. 5/26/10.http://www.doityourself.com/stry/the-importance-of-inspecting-electrical-cords
- Eye Care Trust. "DIY Tips on Eye Safety." Undated. 5/26/10.http://www.eye-care.org.uk/view.php?item_id=9
- Miller, Mark R., Rex Miller, Glenn E. Baker. "Home Remodeling." McGraw-Hill. 2005.
- NCSU.edu. "Ladder Safety." Undated. 5/27/10.http://www.ncsu.edu/ehs/www99/right/handsMan/workplace/ladder.html
- The Handyman. "Do-It-Yourself Home Repair: "What You Should & Should Not Attempt." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.handyman-business.com/Do-It-Yourself-Home-Repair.html
- UCSC Industrial Hygiene Services. "Filtering Facepiece Respirators." Undated. 5/27/10.http://ehs.ucsc.edu/industrial_hygiene/pubs/resp/N95.pdf
- Vandervort, Don. "Home Improvement Safety for DIY-ers." Undated. 5/25/10.http://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/home-improvement-diy-safety.html
Pressure washing can be done by the amateur homeowner or the experienced professional. HowStuffWorks looks at the ins and outs or power washing.