Protect Your Home Against Fires
If you've ever severely burnt something you've cooked, then you probably know the piercing sound of a smoke alarm. And if you're like me, you deactivated the device and forgot to turn it back on.
Don't make that mistake again! Approximately 3,000 people die in residential fires every year, but there are easy things you can do to protect your home and family from runaway fires. Keep all of your smoke detectors in good working order. Test them once a month, and replace batteries annually. There should be at least one smoke detector on every level of your home. Keep a fire extinguisher handy in high-risk areas, like the kitchen and the garage. And above all, practice a fire escape plan as a family so everyone knows what to do in an emergency.
- Anesthesiology. Drowning Update 2009. (July 1, 2010).http://journals.lww.com/anesthesiology/Fulltext/2009/06000/Drowning__Update_2009.30.aspx#P206
- Consumer Reports. Door Locks. (June 30, 2010).http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/home-improvement/home-security/door-locks/door-locks-1005/overview/index.htm
- Kahlenberg, Rebecca R. "Alarms Fortify Secure Feeling." Washington Post. July 23, 2005. (June 30, 2010). http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/22/AR2005072200970.html
- Medeco High Security Locks. (June 30, 2010).http://www.medeco.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=50&Itemid=37
- Protection Dog Info and Advice: Watch Dog Breeds for Your Family. (June 30, 2010). http://protectiondogs.org/the-6-best-watch-dog-breeds-for-your-family
- The Department of Justice. "Violent Crime Rate Remained Unchanged While Theft Rate Declined in 2008." (June 30, 2010).http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/newsroom/pressreleases/2009/BJS09131.htm
- Sampson, Rana. Center for Problem-oriented Policing.False Burglar Alarms 2nd Edition, Guide No. 5. 2007. (June 30, 2010).http://www.popcenter.org/problems/false_alarms
- Security Alarm Fire and Emergency LLC. (June 30, 2010).http://safellc.org
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. "Test All Smoke Alarms (Detectors) and Annually Replace Batteries." (July 1, 2010).http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5077.html
Pressure washing can be done by the amateur homeowner or the experienced professional. HowStuffWorks looks at the ins and outs or power washing.