5 Things You Can Do To Prevent Accidents in Your Home


Hide the Poisons

Keep out of reach of your children and pets.
Keep out of reach of your children and pets.
William Mebane/Workbook Stock/Getty Images

Accidentally ingesting a harmful, poisonous substance is a lot easier than you may think. Medication bottles look a lot alike, so clearly mark everything and keep it all out of reach of your children. If you're on several medications, you may want to get a weekly pill box to keep it all organized. Also, make sure that your child doesn't have access to any harmful solvents or cleaners -- the area under your kitchen sink is a veritable collection of deadly liquids. Teach your kids, too, what a skull and crossbones on a container means, and keep the poison control center number handy at all times.