Have an After-party
If you have the energy, a holiday party after the holiday may be the most effective way to kill off a number of birds with one stone. For instance, it's a holiday party that won't compete with other parties taking place during the season -- or your own massive to-do list. And it helps get things back to normal in a fast, fun, social way. For example, you could serve party guests holiday leftovers and gifted wines and food you don't want. Ask your friends to potluck their own leftovers and unwanted gift food, too. Additionally, try inviting your guests to take a look at your holiday-specific decorations before you box them up. It may help you find out what's broken, damaged or unwanted. Whatever you're getting rid of can go directly to the trash or in a charity pile -- or home with your party guests if they want it.
For lots more information on getting organized, follow the links below.
Related HowStuffWorks Articles
- BellaOnline.com. "Holiday Organizing." Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/7114.asp
- ChildFun.com. "After Holiday Organizing." Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.childfun.com/index.php/daily-tips/179-december-2009/2291-
- Novak, Jamie. "Organizing for the Holidays." iVillage.com. Accessed 10 February 2010. http://home.ivillage.com/cleanandorganize/organize/0,,9zdt03vl,00.html
- Rust, Suzanne. "12 Clever Holiday Tips and Ideas." RealSimple.com. Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/holidays/christmas/simple-list-december-00000000006383/index.html
- Squires, Kathleen. "Storing Holiday Decorations." RealSimple.com. Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.realsimple.com/holidays-entertaining/holidays/christmas/storing-holiday-decorations-10000001133623/index.html
- Van Nevel, Franny. "Holiday Organizing Tips." Holidash.com. Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.holidash.com/christmas/decorating/holiday-organizing-tips
- WellSphere.com. "3 Post-Holiday Organizing Tips." Accessed 10 February 2010. http://www.wellsphere.com/stress-relief-article/3-post-holiday-organizing-tips/947976
There are thousands of reported uses for WD-40, an aerosol lubricant that's as handy as duct tape. We look at 12 of the more creative ones we've found.