If you donate stuff to a legit charity or other qualified organization, then you may get a little kickback from the government come April 15. It'll mean a bit more work on your tax forms, but you -- and the people who got your unwanted but still useful possessions -- will all benefit from those few extra minutes. Just ask the diligent folks at H&R Block.
Anyway, the key is to save any records from the donations. Then when the grueling process of filling out your taxes rolls around, you'll have everything you need to document how awesome you were at helping others throughout the year. Check the IRS Web site to find out which forms you need to fill out. More on that in this article: 10 Tips for Getting the Biggest Tax Refund.
This was a fun article to write because I learned a lot more details on sales processes I had only surface knowledge of previously. Take Etsy. I have an account with them, and have bought a few things off their site, but I have always wanted to become a seller. (Of what? SECRET!) Anyway, writing this article gave me a much better idea of what that process would entail, and what I would need to be successful in the venture. Cool stuff.
- Amazon. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.amazonservices.com/content/sell-on-amazon.htm?ld=AZFSSOA#!how-it-works
- Apple Recycling Program. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.apple.com/recycling/ipod-cell-phone/
- Baker, Adam. "Sell Your Crap." (March 12, 2012.) http://manvsdebt.com/
- "Best Sites to Sell Clutter for Cash." CBS News. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-500164_162-7230070.html
- Correa, Barbara. "Treasure in the Junkyard." The Junk Truck. http://www.luckinlove.com/junk.htm
- Craigslist. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites
- DeLeo, Jennifer. "The Electronics Recycling Superguide." PC Mag. March 2, 2009. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341912,00.asp
- eBay.com. (April 3, 2012.) http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/index.html
- "Eight Tips for Deducting Charitable Contributions." IRS. March 22, 2011. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=106990,00.html
- Etsy.com. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.etsy.com/
- Heloise. "Take Control of Clutter!" Good Housekeeping. (March 28, 2012.) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/heloise/clutter-control-sep04
- LifeOrganizers.com. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.lifeorganizers.com/
- Man vs. Debt. (March 12, 2012.) http://manvsdebt.com/
- Mihaly, Julie. "Out with the Old: 25 Ways to Clean Out the Clutter." Good Housekeeping. (March 28, 2012.) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning-organizing/clean-out-clutter#slide-1
- Nevils, Brooke. "Turn Clutter into Cash." Woman's Day. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.womansday.com/life/saving-money/selling-used-items-online?link=emb&dom=yah_life&src=syn&con=blog_wd&mag=wdy
- Pittman, Kyran. "Control Your Clutter in Six Weeks." Good Housekeeping. (March 28, 2012.) http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning-organizing/six-week-clutter-control-plan
- Professional Organizers in Canada. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.organizersincanada.com/
- OnlineOrganizing.com. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.onlineorganizing.com/Home.asp
- Roth, J.D. "How to Turn Your Clutter Into Cash." Get Rich Slowly. March 17, 2010. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2010/03/17/how-to-turn-your-clutter-into-cash/
- The Organized Home Office. LifeOrganizers.com. (March 28, 2012.) http://lifeorganizers.com/cm_articles/42_the_organized_home_office.html
- Thomas, Holly. "Yard-sale savvy: Turn clutter into cash." The Washington Post. September 9, 2010. (March 12, 2012.) http://www.organizersincanada.com/
- "Where to Sell Your Antiques." Antiques HQ. Jan. 14, 2010. (April 3, 2012.) http://www.antique-hq.com/where-to-sell-your-antiques-and-collectibles-1226/
HowStuffWorks looks at some very creative uses for hydrogen peroxide, including as a mouthwash, pit stain remover, laundry additive and plant food.