Get a Tune-up Occasionally
Even if you clean and tweak your bicycle after every ride, have it checked by a professional bicycle mechanic once a year -- twice a year if you use it regularly on punishing terrain or on long trips. Although bicycles look simple, it can be difficult to diagnose problems in components like the derailleurs and cable systems. Taking this extra step will help identify small problems before they become big ones and ensure that your bike will be around for years of interesting daytrips -- and great exercise.
- Bicycling Magazine. "3 Super-Easy Things Your Bike Mechanic Wishes You Would Do." (5/9/12). http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/repair-maintenance/3-super-easy-things-your-bike-mechanic-wishes-you-would-do
- Fiske, Brian. "How to Wash Your Bike." Bicycling Magazine. (5/9/12). http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/repair-maintenance/how-wash-your-bike
- Instrutables. "Bicycle Cleaning." 2010. (5/9/12). http://www.instructables.com/id/Bicycle-Cleaning/
- Langley, Jim. "Bike Wash." JimLanley.com. (5/9/12). http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bikewash.htm
- "Book of Knowledge." Miles Kelly Publishing Ltd. 2008.
- REI. "Basic Bike Maintenance." 9/2009. (5/9/12). http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/bike+maintenance.html
- Sherry, Jennifer. "Bike-Washing Tips from the Pros." Bicycling Magazine. (5/9/12). http://www.bicycling.com/maintenance/repair-maintenance/bike-washing-tips-pros
- Tri-Newbies Online. "Bicycle Cleaning & Maintenance 101." (5/9/12). http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_bikeclean/welcome.asp
HowStuffWorks finds out how often you should wash your coffee cup or mug to avoid germs.