Under the Bed
The absolute best place for a kid to hide a mess is under the bed. There's quite a bit of area under there, so it has the potential for hiding multiple messes. It also offers easy access to a kid but is a tougher stretch for mom's aching back and tired knees. There's a psychological component to hiding treasures -- and disasters -- under the bed, too. It's in the middle of a kid's personal "territory," so it's a more desirable place to stash the really bad stuff -- you know, the lousy report card, the hopelessly stained pants and that pilfered lawn gnome the neighbor's been looking for. If you've wondered where your good wristwatch disappeared to, or what happened to the crystal candlesticks, check under the bed in your kid's room.
This isn't all bad news. If you decide to keep the extra leaves to the dining room table under your child's bed, there'll be less real estate in which to conceal the carnage. Until then, performing an under-the-bed check every once in a while couldn't hurt. Go prepared though. From moldy pizza crusts to month-old underwear, you never know what you'll find.
- Answer Bag. "Why do kids/teens sometimes hide food under their beds?" 1/29/05. (7/11/12). http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/6906
- Askville. "How many children like to hide things under the bed?" 2005. (7/11/12). http://askville.amazon.com/children-hide-things-bed/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=19513852
- Cafe Mom. "Do Your Children Hide Things?" 8/25/11. (7/11/12). http://www.cafemom.com/group/preschool/forums/read/14812784/Do_your_children_hide_things
- Instructables. "How to Hide Things From Your Family." (7/11/12). http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-hide-things-from-your-family/
- Parent Dish. "How to Keep a Lid on Kid Clutter." 4/26/11. (7/11/12). http://www.parentdish.com/2011/04/26/keeping-a-lid-on-kid-clutter/
- Sixbear, Jaipi. "Keeping Kids' Collections Clutter Free." 6/21/12. (7/11/12). http://voices.yahoo.com/keeping-kids-collections-clutter-free-11486744.html
- Yahoo. "Do You Have Kids That Hide Things or . . . ?" (7/11/12). http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091008203001AA4ZRxK
Those worn but loved sneaks can look almost new with a few cleaning tips we got from a pro.